turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Total Tax is incorrect therefore my Refund is incorrect

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am running into a similar issue. I've recalculated it manually 5x times just to be sure. There is a math error in the application on the "Total Tax" portion of the federal return. This is making the Federal Refund amount incorrect. It is not calculating the total tax correctly. At least not according to the IRS Tax Brackets of 2019.

View solution in original post

Qualified Div's (box 1b on the div form) are taxed at the capital gains rate - not the ordinary rate......it is calculated separate from the table i gave you a link to. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Without seeing your tax return, I cannot see what's going on in your program.  Would you like to have somebody to look over your return?

I would suggest you consider our new product / features TurboTaxLive to file your 2019 taxes.  This way you could have one of our tax professionals to review your tax forms. 

To reach one of our tax professionals, in the TurboTax program, once you complete your taxes, before you file, you’ll be given the option for a final review of your return by one of our experts.  After they completed reviewing your return, they’ll inform you of any proposed changes.

Here are the instructions:

From <https://turbotax.response.lithium.com/console/agent/4041379?>

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am running into a similar issue. I've recalculated it manually 5x times just to be sure. There is a math error in the application on the "Total Tax" portion of the federal return. This is making the Federal Refund amount incorrect. It is not calculating the total tax correctly. At least not according to the IRS Tax Brackets of 2019.

under $100,000 you need to be using the tax tables not the tax brackets 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

So... on the return I'm currently working on, it's not matching the numbers on the IRS table. But I can't seem to make a dummy data version for someone to try to replicate. I'll try later today to see if I can make a fake data version that can replicate the issue.

how far are you off? are you using the correct column (joint., single, etc.)

this is an anonymous board, so might be a lot easier to just post the taxable income you have and what TT says the tax is and what the table says.

remember, the table is for ordinary tax only - before any tax credits, doesn't include capital gains tax in any way, etc.

It's anywhere from $1-$20 depending on the table. I'm 100% following the IRS table with the correct column and row.

I've narrowed it down, it's the 1099-DIV that is breaking it. If I remove the 1099-DIV from the various forms I'm working on, the numbers match the IRS Tables perfectly. However if I add the 1099-DIV, the numbers are off anywhere from $1-$20 from the row and column they should be replicating. Not sure what would cause that. Any thoughts? I'll continue to debug and hopefully find some fake data for others to try to replicate it.

Qualified Div's (box 1b on the div form) are taxed at the capital gains rate - not the ordinary rate......it is calculated separate from the table i gave you a link to. 

Ooooooo... There's my problem. Once I separate Box 1B and add it as capital gains, both my math and the TurboTax software match.

NCperson you have been very helpful! Thanks for passing all this information along.

Thank you,  You hit the nail on the head.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies