Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

US Savings bond 1099-int form does not have BOX 1

It has box 3, no box 1
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

To enter your Form 1099-INT box 3 information in TurboTax Premier online program, go to:

Sign into your account and select Take me to my return 

1.  At upper right corner, in search box, type in 1099int then Enter 

2.  Select "Jump to 1099int " 

3.  Next screen, "Let's get the details from your 1099-INT or brokerage details" screen, check the checkbox for                    "My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon)" to expand your options.

4.  You can now enter box 3 information

See attached screenshots.

I have the same issue

TurboTax Response: This does not apply. This box is checked if you have info that is in box 4, 5 or 6...

My 1099-INT only has box 3. There is no box 1 or 2. Only info for box 3. Turbo Tax requires you to fill out information for box 1...how do I fill out box 1 if there is no information provided on the 1099-INT for box 1? 

As has been stated before, you enter nothing or zero in Box 1 and click "My form has information in more than Box 1".

This will open up the form to show boxes 1-14.  Enter the Bond and other treasury interest in box 3.

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

As Lisa3588 and others said, this is a matter of just checking the “My form has info in more than just box 1” box, and then the regular box 1 interest income becomes irrelevant and you’re able to enter your box 3 savings bonds and treasury interest.

Also (just in case this is relevant), you’ll notice as you proceed from that screen that the program will ask if they were “EE” or “I” savings bonds. If they were, and they were used for higher education expenses, they could be non-taxable (as discussed by the IRS here).

The TurboTax program helps you sort this out, but if you reach a screen where it’s asking for your actual education expenses and benefits, keep in mind that any amounts you enter here (to exclude the bonds from taxation) can’t be used for an “American Opportunity Credit” (which is generally much larger than the tax on those bonds). So it’s normally advisable only to enter amounts that are left over after you’ve maximized that credit. Thanks bri71390!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I see, yes, I did as you mentioned and it worked. For other who may be confused, do this:

1) Enter info for box 3

2) Check the box that says "My form has info in more then one box"

3) A bunch of other options will show up...just scroll all the way down to the bottom and hit the "continue" button. 

Thanks for your help! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies