turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TIRA to backdoor Roth tax implications

2020 was the first year I ever had a traditional IRA (TIRA) . My financial advisor recommended that I start it in 2020 to convert it to a backdoor Roth IRA (I already had a Roth IRA).

My income in 2020 exceeded both the Roth contribution limit and the deduction for TIRA contribution limits. So, the money that went into the TIRA is post-tax dollars. 

It appears that when I enter the 1099-R data into Turbotax, I am taxed on the amount that converted from TIRA to Roth IRA. But since I that TIRA contribution was pre-tax, this seems to tax the TIRA contribution a second time when it converts to Roth IRA.

Is that correct? Does that make sense to anyone?

I am beginning to think that my financial advisor gave me bad advice, for he explained when we did it that I would only be taxed on whatever gain occurred during the one day it was in the TIRA, which was pennies. 

Thank you for your time and be well.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sounds like you failed to first enter the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution in to the IRA contribution  interview so it could be credited to you.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for the information.

I tried that.

Now Turbotax say I owe a penalty for making an excess contribution to a Roth because my income was too high.

I am so confused as why a backdoor Roth is considered a good idea.

@Cowboy1987 wrote:

Thank you for the information.

I tried that.

Now Turbotax say I owe a penalty for making an excess contribution to a Roth because my income was too high.

I am so confused as why a backdoor Roth is considered a good idea.

You DO NOT enter it as a *Roth* contribution.     It is a *Traditional* IRA contribution that you converted to a Roth. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you.

I think I am confused by the differences between recharacterization and conversion. TT seems to imply that a back door Roth is a recharacterization since it occurred in the same year as the Traditional contribution, but the form from my broker says it is a conversion.  TT handles a conversion without any penalty or additional tax language.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies