Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

This year turbo tax didn’t ask about my healthcare insurance any idea why?

Intuit Experts-

No one here wants to hear your misdirection or half-hearted explanations. It doesn't help now. We all know what we must do now, because the IRS informed us. It's a pain in the rear, and is contributing to some hardships for many of us.

The only thing helpful that you can do at this point would be to:

• Acknowledge the mistake and APOLOGIZE
  • Refund any charges made to upgrade services
  • Work with the IRS on to create a miracle solution where we can just amend here and resubmit.

Since none of those are likely happen to happen, the least you could do is drop the useless and patronizing tone from your attempts to diffuse the situation. Not your fault. At All. It's your company's executives that need to address this. Goodarzi and Smith... where are you?

I ended up having this issue as well.  Nothing like finding a fat IRS envelope in my mailbox.  Then you have the stress of filling out the form.  WHY!!!  I knew there was something missing. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The Individual Shared Responsibility Payment, this has been reduced to $0 for 2019. In the past, Form 8965 was required if you did not have healthcare coverage, but the form is no longer needed on your return. If you did not have healthcare coverage in 2019, you no longer need to report that or list an exemption on the healthcare requirement.

However, if you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if I didn’t have Obamacare, I don’t have to send anything in?? 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Correct, if you did not receive a 1095-A, there is nothing for you to send in.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, it took a few weeks before the letter came. You’ll need to complete a 8962 and provide a copy of your 1095 faxing it is quicker. You will have to wait upward to about 8 weeks for a refund from what an IRS rep told me. Unfortunately we are all in this situation. I hired a tax advocate as I cannot afford to wait the 8 weeks for processing.

While we appreciate your input the issue at hand is not in having health insurance or not having it. The issue is TurboTax failed to include the health insurance question as a part of the filing process. Although there were no penalties for not having health insurance and so forth some of us had the Marketplace insurance and weren’t provided an Opportunity to include the information needed from the 1095. This has caused a strain on families all over and we are tired of all the excuses! All it took was one simple question to avoid 8 week delays on money that belongs to us. Thank you.  

Two more posts from Tax Experts, two more answers that were not solicited.

If you want me to break this all down for you I will. I will even invite you to a webex session where I walk through your workflow and show you exactly where your company failed.

Please don't make me and others keep this thread going for 100s of pages and solicit media attention for your company's initial F up and it's continued indifference or ignorance (I'm not sure which, but the more and more you all post, the more obtuse you appear) to the needs and troubles of it's customers.

Anyone customers new to this thread, just read through from the beginning and let us know if you need help understanding what happened or what to do. These puppets aren't doing anything.

I'm in the same boat. I filed mine on the first of February. I thought for sure that TurboTax would promt me to add all the necessary information. When nothing about insurance, I didn't think much about it until I noticed no change to my income tax status after 2 weeks. Then I started researching only to find out that my taxes are most likely going to be rejected. I'm still at the processing stage after 3 weeks and I haven't received any letter. Guess it's the waiting game now.

It’s truly shocking to me the number of turbotax clients that have been Negatively impacted by TurboTax’s lack of effort to ensure their software processes were user friendly and their intuitive tools would provide support and make recommendations based on individual situations so their clients would be effectively supported through the tax season.  Due to such a negative impact I will have an outside source review my situation there pay a second time.  At least I’ll know it was completed correctly.  I highly recommend everyone else does as  well. I have no more to say on this matter.  

I got a letter also the program asked nothing about health insurance no where so many people are getting letters because of this

@Kiyandrah1 wrote:

I got a letter also the program asked nothing about health insurance no where so many people are getting letters because of this

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

@DoninGA

It's a little too late for that article. This should have been included as a question at the beginning like other tax companies have done. But no, Intuit wants us to pay extra for live tax help. Now we know the truth, it's all about money with Turbotax. I really hope this company refunds its customers every penny we paid because of this grossly incompetent negligence.

I filed my taxes on Jan 29 and should have had my refund Feb 19, when I saw it was "still being processed", I knew something was wrong.  When I filed, I got all the way through to the end and realized I was never asked to enter my 1095A, I actually cleared my taxes and went back through it again, thinking somehow I missed it.  Second time through and it still didn't ask for my 1095A.  I asked one of the Turbotax "professionals" where to enter it and was told since there was no penalty for not having insurance this year, I didn't need to enter the 1095A, the IRS would already have been notified about it, and to just keep the form with my other tax papers.  Figuring these "professionals" knew the tax laws better than me, I went ahead and submitted.  It was accepted about 20 minutes later and assumed my refund would be direct-deposited on Feb 19.  Now, I wait for a letter from the IRS and then I'll wait again for my refund.  I paid $40 to file and now, I'll pay even more to either fax or send the forms Priority mail.  Take responsibility TurboTax, not all of us FORGOT to enter our 1095A.

The letter is going to come in the mail from the IRS so just keep a watch on your mailboxes and you’ll get it within a few weeks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies