turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This year turbo tax didn’t ask about my healthcare insurance any idea why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

640 Replies

There is no health insurance penalty for 2019, so it does not ask.  You only have to enter a 1095A if you had Marketplace insurance (Obamacare).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
scottemit

Wish I had know this 3 weeks ago. Turbo tax over here screwing people over by not asking about their insurance, even though I had it last year and they even asked last year. IRS is asking for them now.

Make sure you fill it out, Turbo tax won't direct you to it. 

Now I have to wait another 2 weeks for my return.  Wasted my time filing early when they can't accurately fill them out. Paid $80 for garbage. I shouldn't have to be a tax expert to file my taxes without extra hassle.

@scottemit The IRS began to accept returns on Jan. 27.  If filed earlier, your return would have just been sitting on the server, gong nowhere anyway.   The only health coverage forms that have to entered for 2019 are if you have 1095A for Marketplace (Obamacare) insurance.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I just I just got a letter from the IRS. I filed an early return because I really need the money. I used TurboTax and the software did not ask me about my health insurance. Apparently, I have to send them my 1095-a because I used the premium tax credit. TurboTax doesn't ask because health insurance is no longer a requirement And there is no penalty if you don't have it. But if you have had the insurance through your state Marketplace , you absolutely must file a 1095a and/or 8962. TurboTax failed me.

Were did you end up filling it out? I keep trying to search and it logs me off. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Congress changed the penalty for not having health insurance to $0, and TurboTax moved the entry screens. If you have a 1095-A you will still need to enter it in the program.

As xmasbaby0 and inaneone stated above, you still must enter your 1095-A in the program or risk receiving an IRS letter. You can find the 1095-A enter screens here:

1. While signed in and working in TurboTax Online 2019, click on Federal in the black menu on left.
  2. Click on Deduction and Credits in the upper portion of the page.
  3. Scroll down and click on Medical, Show More.
  4. Choose the Affordable Care Act (1095A) by clicking on Start or Revisit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is BS! I just finished filing my 2019 taxes with TurboTax, as I have for the last 7 years. They have all my information, they know my employers, my dependents, etc. They know I get my health insurance through the ACA and have uploaded a 1095-A every year since the ACA took effect.  So I didn’t even realize that they didn’t ask about my health insurance until I went to put all my tax documents away and realized I had never entered my 1095. So I did some googling and ended up here. What the hell, TurboTax!? A simple “Did you receive a 1095-A?” prompt at any time during the filing process would have helped me avoid this mess. My question to those who made the same mistake: do you simply mail the IRS your 1095-A after receiving a letter requesting it? Or do you have to amend your taxes?

Dustin3

I too am being screwed by this. 

@spannerx  Straight from the website irs.gov/ltr0012c from the letter, hope it helps.

-Do not file a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. After we receive the requested information, we’ll use it to process your original tax return. If you’re entitled to a refund after reconciling your advance payments, we’ll send your refund about 6-8 weeks after we receive all of the necessary information.

Thanks A lot TurboCrap for nothing, I will never again use this product, As I'm sure many others will not. 

Thanks for posting the info from the IRS. I'm in the same boat as many others here. My insurance comes from the marketplace. After my return was done and submitted, and I'm putting my paperwork away, I realize I didn't enter the info from form 1095-A. Nice. I guess I'm waiting for a letter now, waiting to mail the form in, and then waiting 6-8 weeks for my return.

So if I had Mainecare all yr will i still have to wait on 1095a? I was never prompted to fill out health insurance either! So is it automatically checked no for a 1095a? If you didn't have that type of insurance?

Inaneome so if I didn't have market place insurance and had only Mainecare for the year I wouldn't have to worry about medical field right?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@Que1327

MaineCare is Maine's Medicaid program, so it is not a Marketplace offering.

No, you do not have to wait for a 1095-A because you won't get one. I believe that Medicaid usually issues a 1095-B, which you do not have to enter into TurboTax.

No other medical insurance entries are required.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m so upset! TurboTax didn’t ask me about health insurance either now the IRS is asking for 1095 and 8962 which can delay my refund by 8 weeks smfh! I was an early filer also, thanks TurboTax!!

So now I have to wait for a letter from the IRS?  Why are we not allowed to do an amendment until late Feburary?  So will Turbo Tax be rectifying this situation for the people that have already submitted?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies