turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clearh2o
Returning Member

this is private property,I received 1099nec from a nonprofit/ for a grant for riparian/stream vegetation improvement. I hired a 3rd-party to do work. this is a cost sharing program I pay 10% of total cost the grant covers 90%. Is this income to me ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

this is private property,I received 1099nec from a nonprofit/ for a grant for riparian/stream vegetation improvement. I hired a 3rd-party to do work. this is a cost sharing program I pay 10% of total cost the grant covers 90%. Is this income to me ?

It depends. To clarify, is this in the State of California?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
clearh2o
Returning Member

no this is not in California.

Let me explain This is my residents which is located on a stream. The nonprofit provides Hundreds of thousands of dollars in the area for ecology/ riparian/soil/ etc. I submitted a proposal which included work to be completed by a third party. This work was removal of invasive vegetation and stream bank and slope work, would replant with native plants. It just so happened that the 3rd party entity is also a nonprofit. It is a cost sharing grant over 5 years. I must pay the third party then the grant entity comes out to inspect prior to funding only 90% of what work was done. I cover 10%.

1.)I am not sure if this is all income.  

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

This was taken from AGNR, but they strongly urge that you seek an attorney.

1. When Are Conservation Program Payments Considered Taxable Income?

Cost-sharing conservation programs are one way to encourage farmers to partake in on-farm conservation efforts. Parties who utilize federal and/or state cost-share program to incorporate best management practices on leased farmland will have additional tax related considerations each year.

Generally, the payee of record (whomever signed up for the conservation program, either landowner or tenant) will receive a 1099 representing the income stemming from the cost-share funds. Typically cost-share payments will be considered income that must be reported to the IRS, however, in some cases cost-share funds used for improvements may be excluded from gross income.

IRS Code § 126 allows the exclusion of the cost-sharing payment from income if the payment is from an authorized list of programs,

•  is for a capital expenditure (i.e. not an expense claimed as a deduction), does not substantially increase gross receipts from the property that was improved, and the Secretary of Agriculture certifies that the payment was made primarily for conservation purposes.
  •  An increase in annual income is substantial if it is more than 10% of the average annual income before the improvement was made or $2.50 times the number of affected acres.

Thanks for the information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies