Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot save my tax return - when I try to save the return I get an error message that says:C:\users\.... File not found Check the file name and try again

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I cannot save my tax return - when I try to save the return I get an error message that says:C:\users\.... File not found Check the file name and try again

Thank you - the solution worked / appreciate it !
Carl
Level 15

This is common with windows 10 version 1809. Here's the fix.

First try the more preferable option and add TurboTax to the controlled folder access list.

Basically, turbotax.exe needs to be added to the "allowed apps" controlled folder access list.

To do this manually in Windows 10:

- Select Start - Settings - Update & Security
 - On the right pane select Windows Security, then click the Open Windows Security button at the top.
 - Select Virus & Threat Protection.
 - Scroll down and click Manage Settings.
 - Scroll down to Controlled Folder Access and under that click Manage Controlled Folder Access.
 - By default, Controlled Folder Access should be on. Under that click Allow an App through Controlled Folder Access.
 - Click Add an Allowed App.
 - You're doing this because TurboTax is blocked already. So select Recently Blocked Apps and TurboTax will be listed there. Select it, and press on through the rest of the screens to complete the process of adding TurboTax to the list of allowed apps.

Another way, but not the recommended way is to turn off Controlled Folder Access:

• Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it off.

Glad I found this...I was going to restart my return...pulling out my hair. 

I had this problem today (1/3/2021) after downloading Turbotax Premier to my desktop PC and the solution worked PERFECTLY.  Thanks!!!

Jimgina
Returning Member

I am not very smart can i get help by talking to a real person who can talk me through this problem?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Community is a public forum and we do not have access to your personal information, therefore, we are unable to call you. If you'd like to speak to a TurboTax representative for assistance with your issue, please see the instructions in the link below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

@Jimgina

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you - the solution worked / appreciate it 

Even after 5 years, this is the effective solution.

I didn't expect that it would apply to me becasue i've never run into this issue before with any prior TTax or other program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies