turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crtupper

There is a tax credit in SC for Volunteer Firefighters, police and State Guard. I have found it in TurboTax in the past, but not now. Where is it?

The SC Tax form is I-332, CERTIFICATE FOR RESERVE POLICE OFFICER, DNR DEPUTY ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, OR MEMBER OF THE STATE GUARD

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is a tax credit in SC for Volunteer Firefighters, police and State Guard. I have found it in TurboTax in the past, but not now. Where is it?

In the South Carolina interview, there is a screen that is entitled "Here's the income that South Carolina handles differently".

Go to the subheading "Public Service" and click on Start for "Volunteer Income". Enter the amount of income related to the service. Limit your entry to no more than $3,000 (or $6,000 if both spouses qualify). This amount will be subtracted as a "Volunteer Deduction" on your SC tax return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

In the South Carolina interview, there is a screen that is entitled "Here's the income that South Carolina handles differently".

Go to the subheading "Public Service" and click on Start for "Volunteer Income". Enter the amount of income related to the service. Limit your entry to no more than $3,000 (or $6,000 if both spouses qualify). This amount will be subtracted as a "Volunteer Deduction" on your SC tax return.

So there's only a deduction for SC volunteer firefighters not a credit?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

That's correct.  It is a deduction that reduces your SC taxable income instead of a credit that would reduce your SC tax liability.  

To read more, see the SC Instructions for Form SC 1040 using the following link:  SC Form 1040 Instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Adrien1
Returning Member

So volunteer firefighters don't receive $3000 on their tax return? 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, as stated by @AnnetteB6 above, the $3000 for South Carolina Firefighters is a DEDUCTION from income, not a refundable credit.

Click this link for more info on South Carolina Fire Service Membership Benefits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies