Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is a new bug in Turbotax 2023. When I change the cost basis for the stock sale the software does not compute correctly the Gain/Loss

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

There is a new bug in Turbotax 2023. When I change the cost basis for the stock sale the software does not compute correctly the Gain/Loss

TurboTax 2023 has not been released yet, so I am assuming you mean 2022.

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

What exactly are you experiencing? Are you using the online program or the Desktop version? How are you checking to see the calculation? Is this employee stock or regular stock that you purchased?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

O.K. The bug is in Turbotax 2022.  I hope you will fix in Turbotax 2023. But I need to fill my tax return for 2022.

I have an impression that your programmers have no idea what they are doing.  Their only purpose is to hide from your customers as much information as they can.  I have used Turbotax for 8 years and each year it becomes less and less friendly.  It looks like I have to finally stop use your so-called 'improved' version.

I used the online version.

My Intuit TurboTax Case #[phone number removed] has been closed without resolving the issue.

Is any way how I contact the Intuit Technical Support by E-mail?

If the Turbotax does not work properly I have to file my Tax Return manually. 

when a transaction shows incorrect or inconsistent result, delete the 1099-B entry for that transaction and reenter with the correct information.

That's all you can do.

@enatanson 

Dear Sir,

First, It is a very stupid way to fix bugs in Turbotax 2022.   I have a hundred of entries which I need to edit and you suggest to delete all of them  and entry them manually.  Thank you very much for your wise advice.

Secondly, even I follow your advise it would be useless  because Turbotax 2002 removed access to the  flag in Form 8949 which existed in all previous releases. Without this access I cannot input the basis cost of the procedure with the flag B or WS.

By the way I overlooked in my response that one had to use the same Window to re-type the basis cost.  If you have a bug in the software which gives you a 'random' answer for the resultant GAIN/LOSS you must be very lucky to get a right answer regardless how many times you re-enter the basis cost.

As I understand this problem a certain field is not properly cleared since I had different answers for the same input.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to click here and give us a call, so we can better assist you. @enatanson 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your kind advice.

I already called this number and my Case #[phone number removed] has been already closed without a proper response by your incompetent agent.

I have elevated the issue to  Intuit's Office of the President and get the response from TurboTax Customer Care  on behave of Intuit's Office of the President:

Your Intuit TurboTax Case #[phone number removed] has been Resolved

[ ref:_00DE0a8TL._5001K1EEDmt:ref ]

“Box B or box A has to do with covered vs non-covered stock, he can adjust the basis without changing that piece. For wash sales he just needed to check the box that there was more boxes with information on his 1099B and he would have seen where to put the wash sale adjustment."

From my view this is simply a cover up of the issue.

i) “Box B or box A has to do with covered vs non-covered stock, he can adjust the basis without changing that piece.’

If the user changes the basis he/she needs to check Box B, instead of A.  I hoped that Turbotax did it in my previous Tax returns for 8 years.  I’ve never checked Form 8949 after submitting the Tax report.  If Box A is checked the user cannot make changes in the basis -- this would be in violation of the IRS instructions. As far as Box A is checked that the bug I found becomes irrelevant It only appears when the user tries to prepare Form 8949 with the Box B checked.  And since the Turbotax 2022 has a bug in computing GAIN/LOSS I cannot do it correctly in any case.

ii) “For wash sales he just needed to check the box that there was more boxes with information on his 1099B and he would have seen where to put the wash sale adjustment."

When the user changes the basis it may turn the transaction into GAIN, LOSS, or WS LOSS regardless how it t was marked in the Form 1099B provided to the IRS.  I do know that I need to provide this flag if I manually fill Form 8949 with Box B checked.  However the new ‘smart’ team removed this option (successfully used by me for 8 years!) in Turbotax 2022. So even after the bug in the code is fixed in Turbotax 2023 I wouldn’t be able your package unless you return to the previous display design.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies