Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

John-R-S

The message sent after finishing said "All that's left to do now is mail your payment.." Why didn't it say I'd deferred my self-employment tax, and include a voucher?

Apparently one of the program windows asked if I wanted to defer 1/2 of the tax. By the time I got through the whole process, I didn't recall that detail. Why not include a simple reminder on the "Good News" message and the appropriate payment voucher form?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The message sent after finishing said "All that's left to do now is mail your payment.." Why didn't it say I'd deferred my self-employment tax, and include a voucher?

Those features are not included in TurboTax.  Would be a nice addition to the program.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no voucher for paying the deferred self-employment tax. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for instructions to pay the deferred tax.

How self-employed individuals and household employers repay deferred Social Security tax

The option to defer part of the self-employment tax is new for 2020. The IRS was late issuing the final forms and instructions, so all the tax software companies had to implement it in a rush. They didn't have time to plan it out thoroughly. So it has some rough edges. And it's only for 2020, so it's not worth any effort to improve how the software handles it.

Although the program told you about the need to make payments the IRS just recently made the method to do so available and thus they mailed you this information ... did you not get your letter ? 

defer 6.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies