Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did my tax return get rejected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS rejected your federal return because the IRS was unable to confirm your identity based on your AGI from last year. This number has to match what the IRS has in their database exactly, so returns get rejected for this reason from time to time. To e-file again, you need to enter a different number to get it to match the IRS database. If you didn't file last year or you filed late (after the October deadline), try entering 0 for your AGI. If the IRS continues to reject you, we recommend that you print and mail your taxes in. If you used TurboTax Online, just sign back in then follow the step-by-step instructions on how to change your AGI. If you used the TurboTax CD/Download, open your return in TurboTax and go to the File tab. Select the Continue button until you reach a screen titled "Review Your Federal Filing Choices". From there, select the Edit button for "You have provided your identifying information for e-filing". Once you've changed your AGI, continue on to re-file your return and you'll be all set.

E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The IRS rejected your federal return because the IRS was unable to confirm your identity based on your AGI from last year. This number has to match what the IRS has in their database exactly, so returns get rejected for this reason from time to time. To e-file again, you need to enter a different number to get it to match the IRS database. If you didn't file last year or you filed late (after the October deadline), try entering 0 for your AGI. If the IRS continues to reject you, we recommend that you print and mail your taxes in. If you used TurboTax Online, just sign back in then follow the step-by-step instructions on how to change your AGI. If you used the TurboTax CD/Download, open your return in TurboTax and go to the File tab. Select the Continue button until you reach a screen titled "Review Your Federal Filing Choices". From there, select the Edit button for "You have provided your identifying information for e-filing". Once you've changed your AGI, continue on to re-file your return and you'll be all set.

E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
T2ss119j
Returning Member

If 2018 return was filed by mail, would the taxpayer have an AGI? To me that means adjusted gross income but clearly that's not what is meant by these initials.

Yes if you file a return there is an AGI Adjusted Gross Income.  But if you filed 2018 late the IRS might not have the AGI in the database to verify you.  So you should try using 0 for the AGI to efile 2019.

You need your 2018 AGI to efile 2019. The AGI is on 2018 1040 line 7. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

dmckinney
Returning Member

I don't want to incorrectly enter an AGI for 2019.  Can you tell me specificaly why mY e-file as rejected. please don't give mE a list of reasons that do not appear to appy.''Dave

dmckinney
Returning Member

NOT HELPFUL.. THE REPORTED 2019 AGI IS SAME AS REPORTED LAST YEAR!!!

DAVE

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request over the public forum. But, you can order a tax transcript from the IRS to look at the AGI the IRS has on file or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

How do I get a copy of my tax return or transcript...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies