Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khjunaid

If I purchase TurboTax Delux from Costco at member's discounted price, can I use it for TurboTax Online? If so, how would that work?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If I purchase TurboTax Delux from Costco at member's discounted price, can I use it for TurboTax Online? If so, how would that work?

No. The pricing for the boxed copy and online versions are completely different, they have different functions too.  If you want to use Online, return the box to the store and pay turbotax's full online price.  (The version installed on your own computer is better in almost every way.)

khjunaid

What do you mean by '(The version installed on your own computer is better in almost every way.)'? Are you referring to online version or the boxed copy?

The "desktop" version is purchasable as a boxed CD or a downloadable installer, and is installed on your own computer.

The online version runs off Turbotax's servers and can be accessed from any web browser as well as smartphone apps.

See below for more.
Turbotax online is a different product from Turbotax Desktop (which comes as a download or CD to install on your own computer).  They have different prices and different capabilities.  The key differences are:
1. Most Turbotax desktop products include one free state module.   With turbotax online, each state is $35 extra. (With turbotax desktop, e-filing a state return is an extra fee in most states, but it is still cheaper in the end than the online product.  Or, you can avoid the fee by mailing your state return.)
2. Turbotax desktop allows direct access to all forms and worksheets. This is good for troubleshooting, error checking, and making manual adjustments in rare cases where they are needed.  Turbotax online hides the forms and worksheets, and only allows you see them after you pay.  The worksheets and forms are never directly editable.
3. Turbotax desktop version Deluxe and higher all include schedule C for self-employment, schedule D for investments and schedule E for rentals.  The higher priced versions have more help and support, but the forms are available in the lower priced versions if you know what to look for.  With turbotax online, you must upgrade to Premier or Self-Employed to get those forms.
4. With turbotax online, each tax return requires a separate user account and password and will charge the full price.  Turbotax desktop can prepare an unlimited number of tax returns, with e-filing allowed for up to 5, all for the same initial price for the CD or download.  (Each state e-file has a separate e-filing fee, but you can avoid that if you prefer to mail your state return.)  Each return is in a separate document like having different Word or Excel documents.  This allows to you prepare test returns for tax planning, or to prepare returns for family and friends (use of Turbotax by paid preparers is a violation of the license and of IRS regulations.)
5. Turbotax online can only be purchased directly from Turbotax. Discounts are not always available and the price goes up the closer you get to April 15.  Turbotax Desktop can be purchased as a download from several discount retailers (like Staples and Amazon) and the CD can be bought from many more (including Target, Walmart, Costco, Best Buy); and usually at a significant discount compared to the Turbotax direct price.  (But avoid web sites you've never heard of, they are probably selling pirated or infected copies.)

I only recommend Turbotax Online for people who qualify for free filing. Otherwise, the desktop version is more cost-effective and has more capabilities.
DFarmer

Hello and thanks for the information.

I would like to add a comment regarding what you stated above.

I have been a Turbotax customer since 2002 and  advantage customer about when it started. However I'm not sure there is any real advantage other then having it mailed directly to you. Would it be a better deal to buy the CD version at Costco instead buying the same version as a Advantage customer?

@DFarmer wrote:

Hello and thanks for the information.

I would like to add a comment regarding what you stated above.

I have been a Turbotax customer since 2002 and  advantage customer about when it started. However I'm not sure there is any real advantage other then having it mailed directly to you. Would it be a better deal to buy the CD version at Costco instead buying the same version as a Advantage customer?

The CD you receive as an Advantage subscriber is the exact same software that is on a CD purchased at Costco.  So your decision could be based on price and convenience for where to purchase the software.  However, purchasing the software as a CD from TurboTax, you also receive a download program for free in your download account.  The download is always at the latest release and can be accessed at any time for any reason as often as needed for up to three years from the date of purchase of the software from TurboTax.

Be aware that the Deluxe version is available with and without the state program when you do not buy from TurboTax direct ... so if you need a state don't accidentally buy the without version since it will cost you more in the end to add a state to the "bargain" program you bought.   ALSO beware of "too good to be true" prices as they can have spyware or worse imbedded in the programming ... ONLY buy from a reputable reseller. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies