turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal will not transfer w2 info to state.

I completed the federal return with my 1099 info and my wife's w2 info. no problem.  started the state return and w2 info did not transfer.  She works in another state so state taxes were not withheld; however, they were paid quarterly and that info was entered on the federal return.  Started a new form twice thinking I missed something, still no transfer of data to the state form.  Any ideas why the info is not transferring?  I read some comments in the FAQ's and did use whole numbers rather than $ & cents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Are you preparing a Non-Resident State Return to report the income your spouse earned in that state? 

If you indicated in the 'Personal Info' that you made money in other states, TurboTax would prompt you to prepare that state return first (screenshot). 

Since no state taxes were withheld on her W-2, TurboTax is not picking up her income info automatically. You may need to enter the amount of income manually on the Non-Resident return, and also the estimated taxes paid. 

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4777207  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

I went back and changed the status and it still will not transfer the data from the W2.  In my opinion, this is a fault with the programming.  If you key in the w2 information into the Federal form, it should automatically transfer that data to the state form regardless.  No wonder they made this software free; although I did pay for it.  Switching to HR Block, maybe I'll have better results there.
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You are correct that your W2 entered into the Federal should transfer to State.  You can get one-on-one help through phone support: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>

Thanks for the response and information.   My wife works out of state and they do not withhold state taxes; therefore, all those boxes are blank.  I went ahead and typed in the salary that was taxable and that seemed to be the key to transferring the data from the federal form to the state form.  In my opinion, it should transfer based on the fact that a W2 was entered, not based on the condition of taxes withheld or not.  
TBee
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out how to fix the same issue, except we don't have any out of state income.  Our names transferred over and withholding, but not AGI, etc...

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If your wages or withholding didn't transfer to your state return, go back to your W-2:

1. Select the Federal Taxes tab near the top of the screen.
  2. Select the Wages & Income subtab.
  3. Find the Income Summary screen.
  4. Select Update to the right of Wages and Salaries.
  5. Select Edit next to the W-2 that contains the state income and withholding in question.
  6. Scroll down to Boxes 15-17 (state wages and taxes withheld) and check the following:
    • Box 15 State should contain the correct 2-digit state code. For example, if an Arizona resident wrongly chooses AR instead of AZ, TurboTax won't pull the information over. Check your US USPS state abbreviation here.
    • Box 16 Wages should contain the wages that were earned in the box 15 state. If this field is left blank, TurboTax sometimes transfers the box 1 (federal wages) amount, but not always.
    • Box 17 State Income Tax should contain the taxes withheld amount (the withholding) for the state in box 15.
sshowe25

I'm having the same problem as my W2 state tax info is not transferring and I have verified the correct state code and info in boxes 15,16,and 17

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Which state(s) and what is your residency status in each?  Ensure that residency information is correct in "My Info" in the Federal interview and "General Info" in the state interviews.  

sshowe25

my state is Utah and I verified the residency information in personal information.  

sshowe25

I tried entering in the data again and as I transferred my w2 again the state refund shows 0 as if nothing transferred for the state

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Okay. Follow these steps to view the UT tax summary to see what information is there.  

1.  Click "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu

2   Click "Tools" in the left hand menu

3.  Click "View Tax Summary" in the center screen

4.  Click "Preview My 1040" in the left hand menu

5.  Click "UT Tax Summary" in the left hand menu

Verify income and taxes are showing/not showing for UT.

-Reese-
Returning Member

I'm having a similar issue with my 1099-B info from federal tax return not transferring to MA state non-resident tax return.  Therefore I cannot check mark it "non-MA source".

I’m having same issue.  All W2s are correct. And AZ state abbreviations is right   I have the turbos tax with small business.  How is this fixed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies