turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcetgin1

Tax write off for referral bonus

Hello, 

I have a coaching and consulting company as a solo entrepreneur. I am considering giving referral bonus to friends and family once they refer me a client (up to 10% of client fees I'd receive). I am also considering giving it as a discount for my current clients for the future services if they refer someone else as well. Would this be an expense that I can write off?

I see that gift giving write off is limited $25/person, and I am hoping that offering referral bonuses can fall under promotional expenses. Is that a correct assumption?  

Thank you very much in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unless you entered the full amount before the discount as income, then you can deduct the discount under Advertising or Misc Expense.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can’t deduct the discount on services.  You do get a tax “benefit” by having less income taxed. 

Unless you entered the full amount before the discount as income, then you can deduct the discount under Advertising or Misc Expense.

gcetgin1

If I understand it correctly, for friends and family, I can offer cash and that would be considered as the advertisement expense. 

If I offered it to my current client as a discount for the future services, obviously there is nothing to deduct, I would just charge them fee minus their referral bonus. 

Did I get it right? 

@Bsch4477   Your answer was right.  You should put it back.  I was just adding some more.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies