turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlcavil

Tax Return Rejected: IND-517-01 - A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return

Our taxes were rejected for the following reason:

IND-517-01 - A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.

This is our first year with a college student and she had filed before us.  On our dependent's tax form, she checked 'Someone can claim you as a dependent'.  On our taxes, we checked for her 'Credit for other dependents'.  I've attached screenshots of these selections as well.  Do we have to correct one of our forms?  Or do I just need to send in paper copies of our taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Tax Return Rejected: IND-517-01 - A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return

Your forms are right.  You just need to mail in your return.  You won't be able to e-file since she has already filed.  Change your filing method to File by Mail.  

stevince0526
Returning Member

How did you resolve this?  We are having the same error code and I checked off the box saying “someone can claim you as a dependent” on my daughter’s tax return when I sent it in weeks ago.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There are two questions in the program, "Can someone else claim me" and "Will someone else claim me".

Please make sure her 1040 shows that she is being claimed as a dependent by someone else. 

If your return is still being rejected, all you can do is print and mail the return in. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies