turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akdancer
Returning Member

tax rate schedule, 2019, 22% bracket - error?

TurboTax shows 22% bracket for MFJ starting at $78,750.  IRS documents show it starting at $78,950 - $200 difference.  What's up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@akdancer wrote:

.....BUT - my question is about the threshold value for the 22% bracket.  Your example shows it starts at $78,751.  Per what I see in IRS docs, it starts at $78,951.

I am not certain whether or not we are looking at the same thing or talking around each other. 

My screenshot shows taxable income of $78,751 and a tax bracket of 12%, not 22%.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Where, exactly, are you seeing this error? The screenshot below is from a test return and appears correct.

1.png

akdancer
Returning Member

Thank for the reply.  As shown, it's ok.  BUT - my question is about the threshold value for the 22% bracket.  Your example shows it starts at $78,751.  Per what I see in IRS docs, it starts at $78,951.

My screenshot shows the bracket at 12% for $78,751.

akdancer
Returning Member

I didn't see your screenshot.  I've added one, from Pub 17 (2019), p 257.  22% bracket starts at 78,950

Screenshot 2020-10-04 094903.png

akdancer
Returning Member

Ah, the screenshot from the previous post.  

And, my ref to Pub 17 should have said p. 255.  (p. 257 was in the .pdf file).

@akdancer wrote:

I didn't see your screenshot.  I've added one, from Pub 17 (2019), p 257.  22% bracket starts at 78,950

Correct and that is where TurboTax starts the 22% bracket.

akdancer
Returning Member

Below is what you wrote, and $78,751 <> $78,951.

My screenshot shows the bracket at 12% for $78,751.

@akdancer wrote:

.....BUT - my question is about the threshold value for the 22% bracket.  Your example shows it starts at $78,751.  Per what I see in IRS docs, it starts at $78,951.

I am not certain whether or not we are looking at the same thing or talking around each other. 

My screenshot shows taxable income of $78,751 and a tax bracket of 12%, not 22%.

@akdancer  Specifically why do you think TurboTax starts the 22% bracket at $78,751?

The screenshot posted by @tagteam  shows that if they create a fake return with income of $78,751, it is still taxed at 12%, which is correct.  We all agree that the IRS documents show that the brackets starts at $78,951.  Where exactly in the program do you believe you are seeing the 22% tax bracket start at $78,751?

akdancer
Returning Member

OK - I'm putting in a screenshot from Sch D worksheet.  I expected the amounts there to correspond to the tax rate schedule. Obviously they do not.  It's crazy to me, but that's the tax world.

Sorry to have bothered you about this.

Schd Wrksht.jpg

TurboTax uses the same calculations on the Schedule D Worksheet as are in the IRS Schedule D Worksheet.

IRS Schedule D (2019) Instructions page 16 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf#page=16

Schedule D Worksheet.JPG

How strange.  At least for purposes of this specific worksheet, the IRS is using the wrong figure—or, it is the right figure but it is calculated differently than the tax brackets.  I wonder why.  

@Opus 17 wrote:

How strange.  At least for purposes of this specific worksheet, the IRS is using the wrong figure—or, it is the right figure but it is calculated differently than the tax brackets.  I wonder why.  

Strange, indeed, but it is calculated differently based upon the table below.

2.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies