turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhermanns
Returning Member

Tax ramifications of accepting paycheck on a money-transfer platform? (US/GA)

I worked as an 1099 contractor for a small company over the previous fall. My fall contracting ended in early December, but my last paycheck never arrived. After I inquired about the status of the paycheck, the company informed me that they had to furlough their remaining employees after I had left (due to clients dropping the firm and not paying), and that my final paycheck (for hours worked before the furlough) was late due to that reason. The company was using a paycheck management platform to pay wages, but is offering to pay my missing wages over a money-transfer platform, not the previously used payroll management platform (which has all the tax information) while they wait for their remaining clients to pay the firm.

What are the tax ramifications for accepting this payment? If I do, how would I go about legally reporting these wages to the IRS as a 1099 contractor?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First you are either a sub contractor being paid on a 1099   OR  an employee who is paid wages on a paycheck and gets a W-2  ... those terms  are not interchangeable so  are you a contractor  or an employee ???

So  ...  if you are an employee the wages are reported in the year the wages are paid. 

If you are a contractor and use a cash based accounting method  then the income is reported in the year you get the payment  NOT when you preformed the labor.   

dhermanns
Returning Member

I am a contractor being paid on a 1099. I was receiving payment through paychex management previously. Now the company, for which the labor was performed, wish to pay through a social money-transfer platform.

Are there any ramifications for accepting this payment? Or would the company and myself just have to carefully track both methods of payment?

I understand that the income would be reported when I receive the payment.

How you get the money is immaterial ... they could pay in pennies delivered by the Tooth Fairy if that is their chosen method.  Point is you get paid before they go belly up.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies