turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax payment options

In the past I've been able to pay my taxes through Turbotax draft from my bank account. This year there is no option for that, only pay the IRS directly by check. Anyone know why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Tax payment options

You should still be able to select Direct Debit option as long as you can e-file your return.  I had another user yesterday that wasn't offered that option, as well.  Once he realized that some of the forms weren't yet available for him to e-file his return, he found the issue.  

Is this maybe your situation?  I'm sharing a TurboTax FAQ below that gives reasons a return cannot be e-filed.

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Tax payment options

No that didn't seem to be the problem, even though I was waiting for Turbotax to generate  form 8898. After that came through I was able to e-file but was still not given the option to draft payment from my account.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Tax payment options

Strange.  I can't think of any other reason that you wouldn't be able to pay using direct debit.  Here's a TurboTax FAQ about direct debit.

What is direct debit and how does it work? 

Are you just not seeing that option at all?  Are you being given ONLY the option to pay by check?  You know you can also use Direct Pay offered on the IRS website (rather than writing a check).  Here's a link to the payment options via the IRS website:

Payments | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

I'd like to investigate this a little more.  Are you using TurboTax Online (web-based) or Desktop (CD/Download)?

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Tax payment options

I'm only given the option to pay by check. I'm using the web version.

Thanks for the link to the IRS, I'll use that.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Tax payment options

Thanks, @kitesRmything.  I'll share your post with TurboTax Moderators to see if they have any explanation as to why you can't use direct debit.  Sorry for the difficulty!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies