turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Filing (W-4) Question

Hi!

I have a question about my W-4. I'm married and I have 2 kids. This year I wanted to file my taxes as "Married filing jointly" but then I was asked about my wife's SSN or ITIN number, which she doesn't have, after that I got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do because I needed those numbers to continue.

Now, every time I need to fill out a W-4 I never know what to choose as my filing status because I don't want to run into that problem again. What should I choose?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does she live in this country? If so, you would have no other choice to file as Married Filing Separate, since she cannot apply for an SSN or ITIN. It is highly unlikely she would be receiving taxable income without either. All this to say, your base tax deduction would be the Married Filing Separate Standard Deduction of $12950 for 2022.

For filing status, you can file either Married Filing Jointly ( see Nonresident to resident  ) or simply Married Filing Separate. 

[In the TurboTax program, you would follow the step-by-step interview questions to choose the appropriate filing status, enter your spouse information and leave the SSN blank, after print out the return , you can leave it blank or hand-write APPLIED in the space.]

If you want to file Married Filing Separate, you can qualify for an exemption for your spouse only if:

- Your spouse had no gross income.

-- Your spouse won't file a tax return.

- Your spouse didn't qualify as the dependent of another taxpayer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If your wife does not have a SSN or ITIN, she should make an application for at least one or the other. This would have nothing to do with you and your withholding tax, unless your spouse is a non-resident alien and have an impact on your married filing joint tax return. You cannot file as Single, only Married or Married Filing Separate.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-m-married-but-my-wife-doesn-t-have-ssn-yet-so-i...

She's under an F-2 visa so she can't get a SSN and she can't work so no ITIN either.

Does she live in this country? If so, you would have no other choice to file as Married Filing Separate, since she cannot apply for an SSN or ITIN. It is highly unlikely she would be receiving taxable income without either. All this to say, your base tax deduction would be the Married Filing Separate Standard Deduction of $12950 for 2022.

For filing status, you can file either Married Filing Jointly ( see Nonresident to resident  ) or simply Married Filing Separate. 

[In the TurboTax program, you would follow the step-by-step interview questions to choose the appropriate filing status, enter your spouse information and leave the SSN blank, after print out the return , you can leave it blank or hand-write APPLIED in the space.]

If you want to file Married Filing Separate, you can qualify for an exemption for your spouse only if:

- Your spouse had no gross income.

-- Your spouse won't file a tax return.

- Your spouse didn't qualify as the dependent of another taxpayer.

Thank you! That helps a lot!

No problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies