Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax due not updating after k1 input

I am using the desktop edition. On top of the screen it shows the estimated taxes due and it updates as I go. But I noticed that it doesn't update after I have input few k1 with losses. I am trying to figure out how much tax I need to pay before 4/18 with few k1s delayed until Sept. 

I will file an extension. But I need an accurate tax # by 4/18. The few late K1s have very small tax impact. Do I must delete those late K1s so that I can fool TT that all K1s are done in order to get it to give me the tax # that reflects the K1 losses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. The disallowed passive losses are suspended and are carried forward. They can be used to offset future passive income. Or you can deduct them in full in the year that you dispose of your entire interest in the passive activity.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify; are your K-1s from investments in MLPs (Master Limited Partnerships) or similar?  If so, your income and losses are passive.  Your losses can only be used to offset similar passive income.  If they are not MLPs, have you checked the box to indicate that all investment is at risk?  Did you actively participate in the activity?  If not, it is passive.  If you did, make sure you indicated so in the entry. 

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your answer. The K1s are for residental rental properties and they are indeed passive losses. I did check the  box 'all investment are at risk',  but I am not 'actively participating in the activity'. 

So if the losses can only be used to offset other passive gains, and total losses are higher than total gains, will the losses be carried over for offsetting future gains? 

Thank you

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. The disallowed passive losses are suspended and are carried forward. They can be used to offset future passive income. Or you can deduct them in full in the year that you dispose of your entire interest in the passive activity.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies