Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stuck in a LOOP of "Fix my return". It keeps taking me to the Disaster Distribution. It's not telling me what to do there? I checked and uncheck the box but nothing.

It keeps going back to the Disaster Distribution. it seems to land specifically on the part "Disaster Tax Relief:Check if you took a disaster distribution between 2018 and 2020"
My box is already checked. But it's not going further after I hit continue.
I tried to uncheck the box but nothing happened. I'm still in the loop.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

79 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Stuck in a LOOP of "Fix my return". It keeps taking me to the Disaster Distribution. It's not telling me what to do there? I checked and uncheck the box but nothing.

There should be a page in the step-by-step section of your return where you can answer the question about disaster distributions with 'No'.  If you entered any Form 1099-R in your return you will have already seen that question one time, but there is another one out there for users who did not enter any Form 1099-R information.

Please try the following steps if you are using TurboTax Online to see if the error message will clear:

• Go to Federal on the left side of the screen
  • Go to Wages & Income at the top of the screen
  • Scroll to the bottom of the section without making any changes and click Wrap Up Income
  • Continue moving forward until you see a question about whether you took a disaster distribution in 2020 and select 'No'
  • Run the Federal Review again to see if the error has cleared

Please try the following steps if you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax:

• Go to Wages & Income at the top of the screen (or Personal > Personal Income)
  • Click I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll to the bottom of the section without making any changes and click Done with Income
  • Continue moving forward until you see a question about whether you took a disaster distribution in 2020 and select 'No'
  • Run the Federal Review again to see if the error has cleared

If you have tried these steps and you did not see a question about the disaster distributions in 2020, then repeat the steps for the Deductions & Credits section of your return until the question is located.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if I received the COVID stimulus in 2020? I answered yes because of that.

Should I answer No even if I received it?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? does not refer to the three stimulus payments that many taxpayers received in 2020 and 2021.

The question refers to a disaster distribution from your pension funds between 2018 and 2020. A disaster distribution allowed you to spread the distribution over three 1040 tax returns.

If you need to report this, IRS Form 8915 will be needed to complete your tax return but that form is not yet available.  See this TurboTax Help.

The first and second stimulus checks were reported on the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input the third stimulus check information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.  You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen We're almost there… or the screen That's all we need…,  click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s double-check the amount you received, answer the questions and click Continue. 

If you have not received the third stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2021 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your stimulus payment amount to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2021 1040 tax return.

Thank you, that helps. I was confused because the explanation did mention something about COVID initially so I didn't realize the difference. Thank you again!

OctoPunk

The "Best Answer" didn't help at all I'm still stuck in the exact same loop

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please log completely out of TurboTax, then try clearing out your browser's cache and cookies stored on your computer. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly. Please see the TurboTax FAQ's on how to clear your cache here. To learn how to delete your cookies, please see the TurboTax FAQ here.

Did you ever get out of it???? I’m stuck.

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

If you did take a disaster distribution, the form is currently unavailable to file.

If you didn't take a disaster distribution, make sure to go back to your 1099-R and when you see a summary, select continue and answer the interview questions. If a Disaster Distribution applies to you the form will be available soon. Here is the Forms Availability tool and search for 8915-F Federal Taxes.

FYI: There's a known issue to some being unable to uncheck the box and we are actively working on it as of today.

[EDITED 01/20/2023 | 04:14 PM PST]

@Quainey

Thank you! I thought it was something I did. I didn’t take disaster relief so this definitely doesn’t apply to me.

im having the same issue i need help asap

So multiple people are having this simple issue? I need to file already but I ONLY use turbo tax. And have been for the past 10 years….. do they know when it will be resolved?

None of this is working on current forms and I am trapped. I already paid my fees and I am so upset I have restarted over and over and I don't see a disaster question anywhere. What do I do none of the buttons I have match what's in your Instructions 

you really shouldn't file until mid or late February.

This lets the tax software "get the bugs out"

same im still stuck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies