turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus question not showing up

Hi - Family of 4 here, married filing jointly.  Our oldest is 19 and the youngest is 17.

The first check came and we got money for my wife and me and our youngest.  As I read the bill it looks like the 19-year-old fell into a gap and would not get money.

The second check came and we got money for my wife and me and our youngest.  We did not get a check for our 19-year-old.  She did not get a check either as she hadn't filed taxes in 2019.

In doing our taxes - under the Federal Review section - TurboTax showed number reflecting on stimulus checks just for my wife and me.  There is an option to put in the amount that we received and we did so.  Nowhere was an option to note that we did not receive a $600 check for our oldest.  We assumed it would show up on her taxes.

As she did her first filing (using TurboTax) the question was never asked.  We redid the Federal Review section and the stimulus never came up.  Going to the IRS webpage it says that we would have the option to note this on our taxes.

TL;DR

1st Stimulus Family of 4 with a 19-year old got $2,900 ($1,200 per adult +$500 for 17-year old dependent)

2nd Stimulus Family of 4 with a 19-year old got $1,800 ($600 per person) and 19-year old never got hers.  

TurboTax didn't let husband and wife note the missing check.  TurboTax didn't ask the 19-year old about it anywhere. 

How do we note this on taxes to get the check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

For the first two stimulus payments, you only get a payment for a child who is under 17 years old. So your older daughter fell into the same "gap" for both payments. She's over the age limit.

She cannot get a payment for herself on her 2020 tax return if she can be claimed as a dependent. If she indicated that someone can claim her as a dependent, TurboTax would not ask her about the stimulus payment because she is not eligible for it.

it is confusing how this all works, but in the end, it is all based on your 2020 tax return (filing status, dependents under 17 and your income) LESS what you already received.  Your 2019 (or 2018) income, filing status or the age of your children in that year simply do not matter; it is all about 2020

assuming you income is less than $150,000, you are only entitled to 

1) 1200+1200 (the younger child is older than 16 in 2020 and not eligible)

2) $600 + $600 (the younger child is older than 16 in 2020 and not eligible)

LESS what you already received. 

so if you already received $3600, you are not eligible for anymore

Thanks all - this has been frustrating for sure.

and if you received more than $3600, you are not required to pay back the rest! Line 30 will be zero 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies