turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus glitch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/04/16/millions-of-americans-havent-received-stimulus-... please explain to me how this isnt Turbotax's fault? Cant use the get my payment due to "payment not available" which is from Turbotax not sending the proper account info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Stimulus glitch

@whitefrosty wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/04/16/millions-of-americans-havent-received-stimulus-... please explain to me how this isnt Turbotax's fault? Cant use the get my payment due to "payment not available" which is from Turbotax not sending the proper account info

When you request that your fees be taken out of your refund then the IRS cannot do that, it it is done by a 3rd party bank (SBTG) Santa Barbara Tax Group that sets us a temporary account for you and gives the routing and account number to the IRS so the refund will be sent to that temporary account and not directly to you.    That is the only that SBTG can then remove the money that you owe and then deposit  the rest in to your bank account.     The IRS does not have your actual account number so the IRS cannot make a direct deposit to your account.

That is the way that it works and has always worked for ALL tax services that offer pay from refund or refund advance service - not just TurboTax.   It has been done this way for years, however it appears that the IRS did not think about this when they devised the direct deposit of stimulus method.  This has never been done before (unintended consequences).

(TurboTax (and other tax software companies) are not a bank and can never (by law) handle any refunds or money, that can only be done by a registered bank which is why the SBTG exists.)

Here is a statement from SBTG about this issue

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Stimulus glitch

so then how the hell can we use the get my payment portal if we have no direct deposit info available. the whole "Payment info not available unable to determine eligibility" is from who the hell ever screwed up with not sending the IRS direct deposit info. 

Stimulus glitch

@whitefrosty wrote:

so then how the hell can we use the get my payment portal if we have no direct deposit info available. the whole "Payment info not available unable to determine eligibility" is from who the hell ever screwed up with not sending the IRS direct deposit info. 

Nobody "screwed up" if you paid your fees form the refund the IRS does NOT direct deposit into your account so they are not supposed to have that information.    The IRS will mail a check.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Stimulus glitch

Still doesnt explain why some people have gotten thier stimulus checks on their turbo card

Stimulus glitch

@whitefrosty wrote:

Still doesnt explain why some people have gotten thier stimulus checks on their turbo card

A Turbo Card and paying from your refund are different.  If a refund goes directly to a Turbo Card, without first being intercepted first to have payment removed, then it is not routed to the 3rd party bank.

Stimulus glitch

And that's what brings me to the stimulus check. I opt'd in for a turbo card to have my refund sent to it so will my stimulus check be sent to said turbo card. That is what I cant get an answer for.

Stimulus glitch

The IRS has said if the direct deposit information that have fails for any reason then they will mail a check.

Stimulus glitch

Ridiculous... I was planning on using my friend who is a CPA this year. But TurboTax kept blasting me with advertisements that said if I signed up with them I will get on "the fast track" for my stimulus check. Now I am in limbo, I will never use Turbotax again if this isn't resolved soon. 

Stimulus glitch

I have NOT received my stimulus check as of 06/14/2020. I believe it was caused by the TurboTax glitch. Now what am I tol do?

It was the first and last time I will be using TurboTax. **bleep** TurboTax!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies