turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus Check

When i filed my taxes on turbo tax i checked the bubble that said my parents if they were going to could claim me as a dependent. I thought they did but they didnt, so now I am really worried because if your a dependent then you wont receive the stimulus check which i need very bad right now. just because i checked this bubble does it mean I am a dependent? or do my parents have to claim me and checking the bubble doesn't affect me in any way since they have not claimed me. 

thanks for the help to anyone who can reply 🙂 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

If you checked, while working through the TurboTax interview, that your parents or someone else could claim you as a dependent on their return, then you weren’t claimed as a dependent on your own return.

If you’re not someone else’s dependent, you can amend your return.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

You should wait to file your amended return until you get any refund you may have coming from your original return.  Even if your original return has been accepted by the IRS, it's still possible that the IRS could change your refund or balance due on that return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Stimulus Check

Unfortunately I’m in the same boat as you are. Wish I had an answer, bumping this thread in hope theres a solution. 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

If you checked, while working through the TurboTax interview, that your parents or someone else could claim you as a dependent on their return, then you weren’t claimed as a dependent on your own return.

If you’re not someone else’s dependent, you can amend your return.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

You should wait to file your amended return until you get any refund you may have coming from your original return.  Even if your original return has been accepted by the IRS, it's still possible that the IRS could change your refund or balance due on that return. 

Stimulus Check

So i should qualify correct?  just got laid off and need that stimulus. 

Stimulus Check

Would I still get the stimulus check if I checked that I "can be claimed as a defendant" but the next question where it asked if someone else has claimed you as a dependent, I put "No". My parents did not claim me when they filed their returns though. I shouldn't be able to be claimed anyway because I am 25 years old right? So, does this mean I will not receive the stimulus check? Sorry, this is stressing me out and I'm a little confused. I really hope this mistake doesn't cost me. Please help. Thanks!

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

If you’ve been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 tax return, you aren’t eligible to receive a stimulus check.

If you indicated that you could have been claimed as a dependent on someone else's return then you probably won't receive a stimulus check.

To change your status as a dependent, if it is incorrect, you should file an amended return.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

Stimulus Check

The issue with amending a return is that you can ONLY do so in writing through the mail.   The estimated time to process PRIOR to the pandemic was 16 weeks.   Does anyone know if the government will be amending the stimulous payments based on amended returns?   

I'm in a similar situation but in reverse.  I "thought" I could still claim my kids as dependents and since I completed their TurboTax filings first as they are much easier than mine I clicked the wrong box.  When it came to my turn and I realized they would not qualify any longer I thought about filing amended returns.  It wouldn't have made any difference on theirs and since TurboTax suggested waiting until they received their refunds I waited to file the amended return, which now appears to be a problem.  Any thoughts on electronic amendments or ways to notify the IRS or any other pertinent government agency of the error?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Stimulus Check

Turbo Tax will not have information on this. The IRS has a dedicated COVID-19 page that you can access. Coronavirus Tax Relief https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Stimulus Check

This statement doesn't makes sense to me:

"If you checked, while working through the TurboTax interview, that your parents or someone else could claim you as a dependent on their return, then you weren’t claimed as a dependent on your own return."

Did you mean to say "you were" (not "weren't") claimed as a dependent on your own return? It seems that if you checked the box saying that your parents or someone else could claim you as a dependent, then that means you did claim yourself as a dependent on your own return.

Which sucks because I checked this box incorrectly; my parents did not claim me. So I'm worried I won't receive a stimulus check because of this one box even though I am truly independent financially.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

"If you checked, while working through the TurboTax interview, that your parents or someone else could claim you as a dependent on their return, then you weren’t claimed as a dependent on your own return."

Again, this statement is correct. 

If you selected "Someone else can claim me", it does not matter what you did after that point. You just said that someone else COULD claim you which means that YOU CANNOT claim you, so you would be filing as a dependent. 

As it stands now, you will not be eligible for the stimulus check. You can try filing an amended return for tax year 2019, OR you should get the credit if you file as a non-dependent for tax year 2020. 

Stimulus Check

I have a question. In 2018 the same direct deposit information that i have been using for years. Juat recently, like last year I got a nother bank. Noe, when I did my taxes this year i had my refund slit in to 2 different accounts(both mine) . 2 make a long story short i only recieved half of my refund (this year on the new account and the oyher ine in a check because the second account I some digits were off. Noe my question to you is.. Since my New account did recieve at least half of my tax refund(and as of to day i am not longer using the other account. This new one is s activated) will all of my stimulus check go this new one.?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus Check

I don't think there is an answer to that question.  Might just have to wait and see.  My guess is that it would go to the first account listed.

Stimulus Check

So that means that my stimulus check will go to my new account since i do have my direct deposit information on line.  At least thats what your last response was. Ok. Cool. Thank you

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

@bharkless84

You might try the IRS’s Get My Payment application, which should be up any day now. 

The IRS is currently working on a Get My Payment application, due in mid-April, that you can use to let them know your bank account information, if they don't have your direct deposit information and haven't sent your payment.  Please see the IRS's Economic Impact Payments page for more information.

Stimulus Check

They do have my new bank account number. Its just that i had my refund split.. Direct deposit and on a check 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies