Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus check and bank info showing on my return

Some persons are never satisfied.

It's not enough to be getting free money.

It has to be delivered in a certain way.

It's very crass.

Kinda wish we could hear from someone who isn't.

The sw should allow the user to make decision instead of trying to out-smart the users. 

In this case, you can have your smart logic for most situations, but allows user overrite. 

My 2 cents.

Sorry ... but this is an IRS limitation not the program ... not even my professional program will allow DD info on a return with no refund ... in the normal world this is not an issue.  WAIT for the IRS to make this correction if they can if not you will just have to deal with a paper check mailed to the home ... don't be ungrateful for getting FREE MONEY for goodness sakes. 

Don't blame on IRS. Come on. I am a programmer for 30 years. How could this be an IRS problem? Listen to your customer. This is an REQUEST and an very easy one!

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS only has direct deposit listed for returns with refunds on lines 20-22 of Form 1040. However, the IRS has you covered for your stimulus payments.

"We (the IRS) will create a web-based system for people where we don't have their direct deposit they can upload it, so that they can get the money immediately as opposed to checks in the mail," Mnuchin said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation."

They are continuing to build resources. Follow the IRS website for additional information:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@kzliao 

Nothing can be changed without approval from the IRS ... if any of the multitude of tax programs was to be allowed to have  DD info on a return with no refund it MUST first come from them ... they must put out code/specs just like all the regular changes in the programming,  then they must be incorporated, tested and approved and none of this happens overnight  and IMHO I doubt this will happen anytime soon.   

The IRS is working on their own portal (which may or may not work) to address this situation ...  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

"The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail. "

Of course if you want to print the return .... enter the DD info on it and mail it then go ahead.  The data input operator may or may not enter the DD info into the IRS system  when they get around to entering your return in 4 weeks or so this effort may be futile.  (remember they are also short handed) 

You don't get it!  A Direct Deposit is preferred by most of us for several reasons.  We have had a mail theft problem in this area and they have stated that a direct deposit will happen rapidly but a check will take weeks.  Not all of us are financially solvent enough at this moment in time to wait weeks.

@KingsgateEnterprises - The IRS is going to setup a portal for taxpayers to enter their direct deposit information.

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

@KingsgateEnterprises 

You don't get it ... I gave you an answer both ways ... either wait for the IRS portal OR chance it by mailing in the return ... you need to make your own choice. 

To all who have not filed a 2019 return  and are not required to file a 2019 return  AND do not get SS benefits ...

TT has an online option for you to enter the minimum info to get the stimulus check mailed or direct deposited....   register here on the TT website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

BUT ONLY  IF  you have not  filed a 2018 return   OR   the info on the filed  2018 return is incorrect  AND you will not file a 2019 return   ... READ the screens carefully and take the correct path ... 

stimulus payment registeration-0.png

Great, thanks!

And let this be a lesson to the "Champs" fighting so hard to be right. 

@BibbidyBoo  The "Champs" are right. You cannot go into the program just to add direct deposit information to an already filed return.  The link above is if you have NOT filed a return or if you don't have to file a return for 2019 but need a simple return to qualify for the stimulus money.   I don't know what your problem is but all the "Champs" have given correct answers to the question asked.   

northlady

I need to update my bank info!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies