turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Step up basis for property in life estate for capital gains

My SIL had an irrevocable first party SNT. Upon her death her daughter received the property in a life estate as the tenant. When her daughter, the tenant, passes away, does the remainderman get a step up basis from her daughter or does the basis go back to the original price my SIL paid for the house?

Also, the tenant is disabled and on Medi-cal. When she passes will DHCS do an estate recovery on the property?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When a life tenant passes, anyone who takes the remainder receives a basis that is the fair market value on the date of death of the life tenant.

See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1014

The basis would not be a carryover basis (i.e., would not "go back" to the original price paid by the SIL).

@lorims3kds wrote

Also, the tenant is disabled and on Medi-cal. When she passes will DHCS do an estate recovery on the property?

I'm not familiar with Medi-Cal or DHCS but, generally, once a life tenant passes that estate ends and nothing of value is left with respect to the life tenant. 

Creditors would essentially be unable to attach nothing since there is nothing to attach. However, in the result may be different if there was fraud involved in the initial transfer from the owner in severalty to the life tenant. 

Regardless, you might want to consider a consultation with local legal counsel.

Thank you for your response. No fraud was involved, it was drawn up by an estate attorney.  

Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies