Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eithersmo

Stationed overseas and have Japan phone and number. How can you add it, or only able to use usa numbers?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Stationed overseas and have Japan phone and number. How can you add it, or only able to use usa numbers?

Turbo Tax is currently set for USA phone numbers. The phone system can only call out to USA numbers when support is needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1. Stationed overseas and have a Poland phone number. Intuit demands a US phone number. When I change from my old US phone number to my new US phone number, Intuit sends a code as a text message to the new number. Well,  sorry, but I ain't there. So no change of number.

2. Using Turbotax Premier 2019. The Personal Info Summary tells me that there is a "Phone number needed." When I edit that section, there is my Poland phone number. Who needs my telephone number here: Intuit? or the IRS?

harass60
Returning Member

Can you apply for a google voice phone number?  You might have to use a vpn.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You are only able to add a U.S telephone number to your TurboTax account. As stated above, you can create a Google Voice number or you can use the U.S number of a friend or a family member.

Please click fill out this form to contact our Customer Care department if you need further assistance. 

Doesn't address the issue of Intuit using the new number to send codes via text message.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you do not have a phone number you can enter a "fake" number so that you may continue.  Select a valid US area code then use the number 555-5555 this will allow you to move forward in preparing your tax return. 

This is absolutely ridiculous.  Turbo Tax needs to get this fixed or they will lose even more business.  Many of my friends/associates will not use this service because of this disrespect.  There is no excuse for not fixing this problem immediately. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the above response from TerukoL.

Seems like having the US telephone is the only fix available that works.

Although I find this a rather lazy play on behalf of Intuit, the use of another relative/friend's telephone number (in both places where a telephone number is required) seems to be the only thing I could get to work.   I did not try the other option of Google Voice.    According to my personal experience many people are very reluctant to share their phone number, especially when it comes to taxes because they figure it must be some sort of fraud or hack.  Most of us are just passing through once per year and do not want to delay our return so we just play along with this burdensome requirement.     I think a better solution would be to eliminate the phone as verification.  I assume that most of us, already have a verified e-mail address on file with Intuit and don't want to make such a weird request of others to share their phone number.   Most US government agencies / organizations provide a choice for verification via telephone or e-mail.   It should be noted that the problem is with Intuit and not the IRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies