Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSI

I am on SSI and my.3 daughter's under 18 also receive SSI under me. How do I file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

SSI

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is frequently confused with SSDI (Social Security Disability Income). SSI is welfare and is never taxable. SSDI is treated just like Social Security Retirement Income: i.e. it may become partially taxable only when added to your other income*

If you have no other income, you do not need to file a tax return.  Children's Social security payments are treated as their income, not yours.  So, the same rule applies, if that is their only income they do not file a tax return.

Social security is not earned income and does not qualify you for the child based refundable credits (the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit). You still have no need to file a tax return.

* Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

SSI

I receive SSI I have no dependents

SSI

to get a stimulus check what do I need to do they say you have to file taxes so you can be able to get a stimulus check but no taxes come out of my social security

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

SSI

If you receive Social Security, you do not need to do anything.  You will receive your stimulus the same way you receive your social security.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies