turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sponsoring an immigrant

If my I.H.S.S income is excludable does this mean I cant sponsor my husband for immigration to U.S. I get every year my W-2 Form from I.H.S.S. Can I sponsor my husband on excludable income ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Sponsoring an immigrant

@Asif333 , Generally there is no connection between taxabilty  of income and counting the income towards sponsoring a relative. However, what I understand the IHSS program to be is that it is focused towards the people ( elderly ?)  whom would otherwise be significantly & financially affected if they were required to pay for in home services.  Hence there is means testing involved . For sponsoring a relative  ( for entry and /or permanently staying in the USA), the requirement published on i-864P uses the same means testing ( 125% of poverty line ) and takes into account number of persons in the household -- thus if you live alone and wanted to sponsor your spouse you would have to meet ( for 2022) $22,887 income per year. It does not say anything about the source of the income or the taxability of the income. ---- see this -->2022 HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of Support | USCIS.

Also note that the  spouse that you sponsor , if he/she has an income or likely to have income, then that also would count towards the sponsoring amount.  You can also have other relatives  join you in sponsoring thus making sure there is enough to meet  the required amount.

Bottom line it is the total resource that matters , not whether it is taxed or not. 

Good Luck

Is there more I can do for you ?  

pk

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sponsoring an immigrant

@pk?

Sponsoring an immigrant

Yes 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Sponsoring an immigrant

@Asif333 , Generally there is no connection between taxabilty  of income and counting the income towards sponsoring a relative. However, what I understand the IHSS program to be is that it is focused towards the people ( elderly ?)  whom would otherwise be significantly & financially affected if they were required to pay for in home services.  Hence there is means testing involved . For sponsoring a relative  ( for entry and /or permanently staying in the USA), the requirement published on i-864P uses the same means testing ( 125% of poverty line ) and takes into account number of persons in the household -- thus if you live alone and wanted to sponsor your spouse you would have to meet ( for 2022) $22,887 income per year. It does not say anything about the source of the income or the taxability of the income. ---- see this -->2022 HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of Support | USCIS.

Also note that the  spouse that you sponsor , if he/she has an income or likely to have income, then that also would count towards the sponsoring amount.  You can also have other relatives  join you in sponsoring thus making sure there is enough to meet  the required amount.

Bottom line it is the total resource that matters , not whether it is taxed or not. 

Good Luck

Is there more I can do for you ?  

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies