Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar Credit

I purchased a solar generator (~$1680) and solar photovoltaic panels (~$1400) to be used if our home power goes out (or if my government shuts it off the next time I refuse an mRNA vaccine?!).  It might be considered a portable unit, but it will remain in place for our home use (and too heavy to be portable for me!).  The solar generator is charged by the solar panels, and can also be charged using grid-provided electricity.  Is this assembly eligible for the 30% solar credit?  I haven't been able to find any definition of what expenses are eligible for the credit.  In advance, thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Solar Credit

Yes, both a solar generator and solar photovoltaic panels qualify as qualified solar electric property costs and are eligible for the energy credit, assuming that you meet the other requirements. 

Click here to see an Energy Department publication on what qualifies for the credit. See "What expenses are included?" at the bottom of the first page for details. 

The FAQs address your situation further:

"A solar PV system does not necessarily have to be connected to the electric grid for you to claim the residential federal solar tax credit, as long as it is generating electricity for use at your residence."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Solar Credit

Thank you SO much, Julie--for answering my question so completely!  🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies