turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Smart check is kicking back my RSU due to date issues....

I have RSU sales to report and I have triple checked all of the information has been entered accurately.  When I get to the Smart Check portion of my federal return it kicks back 11 items with an error that the "date on line 25, column c cannot be later than the date sold."  The date is not later than the date sold and I've been double checking my inputs for over an hour.  Tried a phone call for support but the line dropped and I'm getting tired.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I'm having the same problem, so let me know if you get it sorted out.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Line 25 column c is the vesting date. The error is saying your date sold is after the vesting date, If these dates are correct, then the first step is the simplest--close the program completely. In TurboTax Online, close the browser window, as well, and re-open in Chrome. For TurboTax Desktop, I recommend closing the program. Re-open it and go to Online to Check for Updates. 

For more instructions, see: What are restricted stock units (RSUs) and how do I report them?

@ESigler84 

@ShiningLeaf 

I have confirmed I am up-to-date by closing and reopening the program.  I am still receiving the error.  When I look at the forms, box 25c says "11/23/2020" (which is correct).  I don't know where the "date shares sold" is coming from as line 2 of the form is blank but I can't enter data.  In "EasyStep" mode, I confirmed I entered 12/02/2020 as Date sold.  

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

More help and guidance on your RSU issues as well as help with getting updates has been provided for you by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ShiningLeaf  I just got off the phone with a SUPER helpful associate.  He had me right click on the date sold field (line 2) and choose Override and then enter the correct date in that form (also works for the Company Name field, which was also carried over incorrectly on my file.)  I'm working through it now and will update again if this DOES NOT fix the issue, but so far so good!

When going in to "fix my return" or whatever the fix before the last step is called that year is called, simply delete each date field presented to you, and leave it empty. Then these errors will stop and can file the return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies