Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zxcv100
Returning Member

Signing tax return

Completed TurboTax Home/Business and ready to file Federal and NY State returns,  HOW DO I ELECTRONICALLY SIGN THE FED & NY RETURNS????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Signing tax return

You sign and efile a return by entering your prior year AGI to verify your identity.   If you print and mail your return to file or to give a copy to someone you need to sign it in ink on the signature line at the bottom.

You need your 2018 AGI to efile 2019. The AGI is on 2018 1040 line 7. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

zxcv100
Returning Member

Signing tax return

When and where do I  enter my prior year AGI to file electronically

zxcv100
Returning Member

Signing tax return

Using AGI to sign.  OK got it.  I'm at point where turboTax Home/Business is ready to "File".  Where and when do i enter my prior year AGI.  And, am I entering it once for both Fed and NY State filing?

Signing tax return

@ zxcv100  wrote:

Using AGI to sign.  OK got it.  I'm at point where turboTax Home/Business is ready to "File".  Where and when do i enter my prior year AGI.  And, am I entering it once for both Fed and NY State filing?

When you go through the FILE section,  you shouldn't have to pay any fees unless you added on an option such as Audit Defense.  There is no fee to efile a NY state return.   

Early on in the FILE section you will encounter a screen that will ask you how you want to receive your Federal refund or how you want to pay your Federal tax due, whichever is applicable.

Then you will get to a screen titled "Let's Get Ready to File Your Return" and will ask you if you filed a 2018 return or not.   If you DID file a 2018 return, then so indicate.  The next screen will have a place for you to enter the 2018 AGI.    If you used desktop TurboTax last year and transferred the 2018 info in, then it may already be pre-populated.

One of the screens near the end of the Federal efile section will be called "Sign Your 2019 Return", and will have 3 fields.   One is for a Self-Select PIN, where you choose any 5 digits you want.  It also has today's date and your birthdate.

I don't know what it will ask about New York State to sign your NY state return.   Just follow the screens, and they should be self-explanatory.

Be sure you keep going to a final screen and click a big button "Transmit Returns Now."

NOTE:  There is a little bar graph at the top of the screens in that section that will tell you what phase of the efiling process you are in.  The stages in the bar graph as you progress are Selection, Federal, State, Review, Payment, Filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies