turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Short Term Capital Gains question

I'd like to ask a question about ST capital gains, here is a hypothetical: suppose in the second quarter I have the unexpected opportunity to sell a stock at a gain, and say I make a $25,000 profit, so there is a ST capital gain. I didn't expect to make this sale, so I didn't set up estimated quarterly payments, so would the correct tax treatment be to file form 2210 and pay the tax on the gain? If not, what would be the correct thing to do? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes - pay an estimate of $25,000 times your tax bracket as that is what would be owed on your tax return in any event

View solution in original post

BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Most taxpayers can avoid the penalty by ensuring they have paid taxes equal to 100% of the prior year tax liability.  This can be via withholding or estimates.  If your AGI is over $150,000, you must pay 110% of the prior year tax liability in order to avoid a penalty.

If you have W-2 income, just be sure you withhold an amount equal to or more than your 2018 tax liability (or 110% of it if AGI is over $150,000). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

use form 1040-ES

Submit an estimated payment of $25000* your tax bracket by June 17, 2019

Thank you for the reply, but please clarify- did you mean for me to pay taxes on the $25,000 for my tax bracket?

Yes - pay an estimate of $25,000 times your tax bracket as that is what would be owed on your tax return in any event
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Most taxpayers can avoid the penalty by ensuring they have paid taxes equal to 100% of the prior year tax liability.  This can be via withholding or estimates.  If your AGI is over $150,000, you must pay 110% of the prior year tax liability in order to avoid a penalty.

If you have W-2 income, just be sure you withhold an amount equal to or more than your 2018 tax liability (or 110% of it if AGI is over $150,000). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies