turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwgamble
Returning Member

Setting a password (encrypt) on Mac does not work.

I have set a password through the Encrypt  menu, changed it, removed it, and reset it.  Doesn't work.  I'm not prompted to enter a password when I start working on my ta return.  Using TurboTax Deluxe for Mac with current upgrades to the software.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

It works fine.  The Mac is just entering the password for you.

https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/what-is-keychain-access-kyca1083/mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jwgamble
Returning Member

thanks for the answer!!!!!!

I've updated password.   When adding password (Encrypt) on my Mac does not protect 2019 Tax.  Works find for 2018 which is on my Mac.

Does that mean that I have two layer security...?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if you open the tax return and then click "File" on your computer menu bar, select "Encrypt" and you will be prompt with password dialog.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tbirdsrgo

I can get the dialog box but no matter what password I enter (8 char min but less than 16, no spaces) it returns an error message that passwords must be between 6 and 16 characters no spaces. I triple checked that both password lines were identical. 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try refreshing your browser and clearing out your cookies. If that does not work, try clearing out your browser's cache. You may also want to try a different browser. 

Please see below for information on how to delete your cookies. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

Please see below for information on how to delete your cache.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

If you would like to contact customer support for additional assistance please see below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SI67

The answer posted sounds like it applies to using Turbo Tax Online. I am having the same problem creating an encryption password while using the downloaded TurboTax application on my Mac. No browser involved. How can I get the Mac TurboTax application to accept an encryption password?

@SI67 wrote:

The answer posted sounds like it applies to using Turbo Tax Online. I am having the same problem creating an encryption password while using the downloaded TurboTax application on my Mac. No browser involved. How can I get the Mac TurboTax application to accept an encryption password?

That appears to be a recently introduced bug and has been reported.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
TJTC
Level 1

I am having the same problem. I'm using Turbo Tax Premiere for 2020 tax year. I have tried a variety of passwords, all within the prescribed limits, but I keep getting the same message over and over:

"For security reasons, your answer should be between 6 and 16 characters long, not including any spaces"

I have used turbo tax for years and have never had this problem before. I am using the same computer as I used last year and I was able to encrypt save my 2019 files with no problems.

The *password* but be between 8 and 32 characters.    It is the answer to the *security question* that must be between 6-16 characters.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 3.30.31 PM.jpg

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same problem.

@joannajw1 wrote:

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same problem.

Exactly what problem are you having.

djtnat

what if I don't want my Mac computer to enter the password for me.  I want to protect against other users on the same Mac computer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies