turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule SE-T error on federal review tells me to enter line 18,thought turbo tax does this on its own?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Schedule SE-T error on federal review tells me to enter line 18,thought turbo tax does this on its own?

Line 18 isn't automatically filled out because it calls for you to make an estimation.  Only you have an idea of what the amount might be.  

See the instructions for Line 18 of Schedule SE in the IRS's 2020 Instructions for Schedule SE for guidance on what you need to enter.  The instructions are very vague, but also open-ended, allowing you to use any reasonable method:

Use any reasonable method to divide the net profit or (loss) you reported on line 3 between (a) January 1, 2020, through March 26, 2020, and (b) March 27, 2020, through December 31, 2020. A reasonable method will accurately reflect the time when income was earned or accrued and deductible expenses were paid or incurred, depending on your method of accounting. In most cases, a proportional division of the amount reported on line 3 based upon the number of days in each period will be considered reasonable.

John, that was very useful. I was about to submit the same question and then I saw what you had written. Thanks.

Well every the form has been filed and this is the first year its asking me this? Can someone from turbotax respond to this , it doesn’t ask for estimation it says from a march date toll december .. that form schedule c is in turbo tax and i thought should be figured out electronically like everything else.. what am i missing?

Is this something new ? And why?

Gladys, what John the Turbotax person said in his reply above is that TurboTax knows your Total income you entered, but it doesn't know how much of that income came between January - March 26th and which part of the income is from March 27th to December 31st. Only you can know that. So figure out how much of your full year tax was from March 27th to December 31st and enter it in line 18. 

John's explanation was actually very good

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it depends.  The reason why it is asking you to enter an amount in line 18 is that because of COVID, the IRS is offering a break for the Self-Employment tax. So if your net profit was $48,000 for the year and if most of that was made before March 27, this will lessen the self-employment tax you would need to pay for the year. 

For a real life example, if you made $48,000 but $40,000 was made before 03/27, you would put $8000 in the that entry. This will prove to the IRS that you had a loss of income from 03/27-12/31. This is something that you will need to determine and decide what amount to record.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Awesome reply Dave. Thanks.

Thank you this explains it much better and i understand that it will be bcus of the covid new tax laws that’s why i was so confused 

In the case of a loss for 2020, the software seems to have a looping error.  In my case, I had a loss for 2020. When I enter a negative number for Sch SE Line 18, it says "Minimum Value is 0".  If I enter "0" or anything greater, the software says "Max deferral Line 18 is too large."  So there literally appears to be no value that the software will accept, and without fixing the problem, I can't e-file.  Any solutions out there?

Why doesn't the interview ask me to enter a value rather than surprising me with an error during the review?

AMBaum

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a solution for you because I am in the same boat.  I do look forward to hearing from someone about how to proceed.  Good luck to us both.

Try deleting the zero and just leaving it blank. That worked for me enough to e-file.  

What if most of the income was made during the period of 3/27 - 12/31 and the amount is larger than the amount on line 3?

AMBaum

Thank you dan92648.  Leaving the entry blank did the trick. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies