Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule K-1, Form 1041

I am filing my mother's taxes. She is the beneficiary of the income from a trust located in West Virginia. 

She files her taxes as a GA resident.

In TurboTax, K-1 Trust section,

In line 14 it is Code Z which is  "other".

Under Income Detail it states "select the state and the amount of tax-exempt income interest reported...." 

I have the amount but am unsure whether this should be designated WV (trust location) or GA (her residence).

Any help is appreciated

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule K-1, Form 1041

You can most likely select "More Than One State" since the interest is probably from a fund that invests in municipal bonds issued in multiple states.

Check with the trustee (or the party responsible for preparing the trust's income tax return) to be certain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Schedule K-1, Form 1041

You can most likely select "More Than One State" since the interest is probably from a fund that invests in municipal bonds issued in multiple states.

Check with the trustee (or the party responsible for preparing the trust's income tax return) to be certain.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Schedule K-1, Form 1041

Did the K-1 from the trust administrator provide beneficiary instructions, an attachment or enclosed schedule which provides the state information?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule K-1, Form 1041

Thanks to you both. The trustee is very busy so I wanted to ask here because I knew I would get a good answer!

Duh, I didn't scroll down to see the "more than one state" option. BTW, I also have a lot of trouble figuring out how to get back to that K-1 form once I've started it. It's probably just me but it's frustrating. I've had to mark it with a flag.

Thank you both!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies