Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SAR and RSU Cost Basis spreadsheet

Hi.  I am struggling to make sure I am entering the correct info in TTax for a number of SSAR and RSU transactions (including SellToCover, ExerSales, and WitholdToCover).  I tried to put a spreadsheet together to make sure I was using the right data to get to Cost Basis.  When I look at the results compared to what I have in a broker statement... it does not match.  Before finding a local CPA, is anyone willing to review a gSheet and help me get the calculations right?  I am not just trying to solve 2019.  Trying learn and avoid a lot of struggles going forward, but just can't seem to understand this correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There really is no big mystery about the cost basis of stock acquired via SARs or RSUs.  What makes the reporting of sales of shares acquired in this fashion somewhat difficult is that on the 1099-B itself brokers are only required to report your "out of pocket" costs for these stocks, which typically is $0.  That basis is wrong and if you simply enter the 1099-B as it reads and don't adjust the cost basis you end up reporting the same income twice.  (However, brokers are supposed to provide along with the 1099-B a "statement" of some sort that does provide the correct cost basis information.)

It's best to think about sales of these stock on a "per share" basis; that makes it easy to come up with the correct basis when reporting the sale of less than the entire grant, as in a sell to cover situation.  The per share basis of these stocks is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by the employer to calculate the compensation associated with receiving the shares.  That is, (GROSS number of shares received before "withhold" or "sale") x (per share FMV) = Compensation associated with that lot.

Presumably all the necessary taxes associated with the shares were included on the various "taxes" boxes of your W-2 and, generally, a "same day" sale of stock results in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

View solution in original post

" And... I think you have indicated in the past that for RSU/SSAR's in TurboTax, we should NOT use the interview process as it will confuse things? "

There's no legitimate 'income tax return reporting requirement" to use those interviews.  The interview should only be used if the compensation income wasn't included on the W-2, or if you haven't a clue as to what the basis for the sale is.  But the interview simply asks you, essentially, what the stock closed at that day, and uses that number as a "close enough" estimate.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

There really is no big mystery about the cost basis of stock acquired via SARs or RSUs.  What makes the reporting of sales of shares acquired in this fashion somewhat difficult is that on the 1099-B itself brokers are only required to report your "out of pocket" costs for these stocks, which typically is $0.  That basis is wrong and if you simply enter the 1099-B as it reads and don't adjust the cost basis you end up reporting the same income twice.  (However, brokers are supposed to provide along with the 1099-B a "statement" of some sort that does provide the correct cost basis information.)

It's best to think about sales of these stock on a "per share" basis; that makes it easy to come up with the correct basis when reporting the sale of less than the entire grant, as in a sell to cover situation.  The per share basis of these stocks is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by the employer to calculate the compensation associated with receiving the shares.  That is, (GROSS number of shares received before "withhold" or "sale") x (per share FMV) = Compensation associated with that lot.

Presumably all the necessary taxes associated with the shares were included on the various "taxes" boxes of your W-2 and, generally, a "same day" sale of stock results in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

Thanks @TomYoung.  I appreciate your response! 

I am trying to get the cost basis right as that was not reported.  To complicate things, I have multiple transactions of RSU's and SSAR's.  It looks like only the SSAR's get reported on the 1099B.

For the SSAR's, I had two transactions.  One was an ExerSale, and the other a SellToCover.  Only the Sell To Cover has Income and Capital gains info.  Since the W2 has all the RSU and SSAR income, I am having some trouble double checking my math for each "lot".   In general I understand that for the Exersale, I am selling all shares, while in the STC, I am just concerned with the shares sold to cover taxes (so the per share basis helps me get there).

I will re-read your response and give it another shot!  And... I think you have indicated in the past that for RSU/SSAR's in TurboTax, we should NOT use the interview process as it will confuse things?  Unfortunate because I could use the guidance 🙂

" And... I think you have indicated in the past that for RSU/SSAR's in TurboTax, we should NOT use the interview process as it will confuse things? "

There's no legitimate 'income tax return reporting requirement" to use those interviews.  The interview should only be used if the compensation income wasn't included on the W-2, or if you haven't a clue as to what the basis for the sale is.  But the interview simply asks you, essentially, what the stock closed at that day, and uses that number as a "close enough" estimate.

Bleuspeed
Returning Member

Hi @singlemalt1 , were you able to get this sorted out? I was searching online for help with the same topic of how to report SSAR and RSU sales via TurboTax. Based on your previous posts, I think we may be working at the same company. Happy to review your spreadsheet and see if it jives with what I am planning to do for mine.

Bleuspeed
Returning Member

@TomYoung Thank you for your reply - this was very helpful. The only thing I'd add is that the main confusion comes from which FMV value to use for calculating the cost basis as there are a couple of options. Would you please review my understanding below to see if I am tracking correctly?

When an RSU vests, the company reports the earnings, and associated taxes withheld, on the W2 as this is treated as regular income. Say 100 RSUs vest on a date when the market value per unit is $10. Then your W2 reports income of $1,000 (100 x $10). The company also withholds ~40% of the 100 RSUs to pay off taxes, leaving you with, say, 60 RSUs in your accounts worth $600 on that day. This event does NOT get reported on the 1099-B.

When you eventually sell these RSUs, that event is then recorded on your 1099-B and you then pay gains (or losses) based on the value you sell the RSUs for minus the $10 cost basis on the date of vesting. So, if you sell the 60 RSUs for $15 each after 6-months, your 1099-B will show proceeds of $900 minus fees. If the cost basis is missing, you then fill in the cost basis as $600 (60 x $10 value at vesting), giving you a net gain of ~$300. You also report this as short term gain as it's not been a year since vesting.

For SSARs, the process is very similar. When you exercise, the income (and associated taxes) reported on your W2 is the difference between market value on day of exercise and strike price (a weighted average if you are selling multiple lots in one transaction). For the 1099-B reporting, the income is "backed into" the number of RSUs the income results in based on that same market value, minus any transaction costs. If cost basis is not filled in, you use that market value as your cost basis (not the strike price), which results in a small loss due to the transaction costs (loss of magnitude of $10s to $100s). These are always reported as short term transaction on the 1099B as everything happens on the same day.

As an example, if 200 SSAR units are exercised with market value of $10 and strike price of $5, then the income and taxes reported on W2 are for $1,000 [200 x ($10 - $5)]. Then the 1099-B reports 100 RSUs sold for $1,000 (minus transaction costs). The cost basis, if not filled in, is still $1,000 based on the market value (and not the strike price of $5). This should result in a "loss" due to transaction costs.

To say it another way, SSAR sale and RSU sales are similar in that the initial "vest" income and associated withheld taxes are reported on the W2 (difference being that with SSAR you choose the date of "vesting / exercising" vs. RSUs which vest automatically). Then the sale of the resulting shares are what show up in the 1099B, the cost basis for which are the FMV on the date of the "vest".

Is that the right way to think about it?

@Bleuspeed 

In my experience SARs have had no exercise/strike price per se though they typically are settled based on the (presumed) increase in the value of the stock from the grant date to the exercise date.  In this respect they are much like a typical NonQualified Stock Option (NQSO)  But, as with a NQSO, your basis per share when you exercise is still the shares' FMV at the exercise date.

Bleuspeed
Returning Member

Thanks @TomYoung for reviewing! In our case, it being a Swiss company I guess it's termed a little different. The strike price (that's how it's labelled in all the documents) on the SSARs is the FMV at the time of Grant.

But, conceptually, sounds like we are aligned. The SSARs are valued based on the increase in the FMV between grant and exercise. This increase in FMV is reported and taxed via the W2. Then the "cost basis" we report in the 1099-B is the FMV at exercise (not grant), to ensure we are not double taxed.

@Bleuspeed Were you able to get this sorted out.  I am having a similar issue.  I was able to complete my RSU's without a problem but i am not sure how to caterogize my SSAR's.

Bleuspeed
Returning Member

@roballenjr79 i think so - I followed what I wrote up above to enter everything. The information was collected from a couple of different documents to correctly report cost basis. What specifically are you stuck with?

@roballenjr79 

"I was able to complete my RSU's without a problem but i am not sure how to caterogize my SSAR's."

I assume your reference to "how to categorize" the sale of stock acquired via SSARs is referring to TurboTax's "guided" interviews for stock acquired through an employer.

There is absolutely no "Income Tax Return Reporting Requirement" to use any of the guided interviews for the sale of employer stock incentive programs.  Nothing in your income tax return reports "how I acquired this stock", with the exception of inherited stock.  All security sales on Form 8949 look exactly the same:

1. What was sold
  2. Date sold
  3. Proceeds
  4. Cost basis
  5. Date acquired
  6. Basis adjustment amount and code (in some cases).

If you know your acquisition date and your per share basis then simply enter the 1099-B exactly as it reads (wrong basis and all) and then use the mechanism provided by TurboTax to correct the basis.  (In the desktop versions you click "I'll enter additional info on my own" and then enter the correct basis in the "Corrected basis" box.  I assume "online" versions have something similar.)

Did anyone create a spreadsheet for the RSU & SSAR calculations that you are willing to share? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies