Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I contribute my 2022 earnings to Traditional IRA for reducing 2021 taxes?

I was a full time student in 2021 and only got employed in Dec 2021. But I did not earn $6000 as salary in 2021, though I got dividends (from my stocks investments that my mom had gifted to me) that amount to $6000. Can I still invest $6000 in Traditional IRA from my salary earned in 2022 and use that to reduce my taxes of 2021 as Turbo Tax says I still have time until April 2022 to contribute to Traditional IRA for 2021 taxes? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

But not your 2022 salary.  Only your 2021 salary, not the investments.  Turbo Tax will tell you if you try to enter too much.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No.  If you want to apply it to 2021 you are limited to your actual earned income salary.   BUT a ROTH IRA is not tax deductible and will not reduce your tax return.  You need to contribute to a Traditional IRA to be deductible.

Thank you so much! I corrected it to Traditional IRA. So can I use my 2022 salary to contribute to Traditional IRA by April 2022 and use to reduce my 2021 taxes? Thanks again.

But not your 2022 salary.  Only your 2021 salary, not the investments.  Turbo Tax will tell you if you try to enter too much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies