turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA and Home Purchase - any way to use more than $10,000?

Hi, I am in mid 40's, and my wife and I are trying to move to Moscow where my 8 year old son lives. I am US citizen, wife is Russian, her 12 year old son is Russian. My 8 year old son lives with his mother in Russia. My wife's 12 year old son lives with us, so the three of us would be relocating to their home country.

Because my son's mother makes it so hard for me to see my son, my wife and I are planning a move to Moscow. I have enough across 2 Roth IRAs to buy a home there, but I read I can only take out $10K for a home purchase, and I take it that $10K is total across all Roth IRA accounts.

So I am wondering if there are any odd provisions that enable me to use more of my Roth IRA. I mean really odd. I have a court order to see my son, so maybe there is some provision that allows some sort of emergency use of a Roth IRA for family relocation purposes? I have a court psychologist on record saying my son needs therapy already due to the mother's demonization of me, and so my move has a child welfare aspect to it, so I thought maybe there is some sort of really obscure human rights angle or something?? Or a process to request exception to policy? I mean in this case my only reason to purchase the house is to be closer to my son and offset psychological damage that according to court experts his mother is causing. We are currently living on coast of Montenegro, so moving to Moscow is not really desirable, it is just something I am morally obligated to do.

If I decided to just use Roth IRA for more than $10K, I know there is 10% penalty (is that 10% of the money over $10K I use, or is it 10% of the amount, over 10K, attributed as growth?). Also I would be taxed - similar to previous question, would I be taxed on the amount over $10K, the amount being determined by the earnings on the amount over $10K? And that tax rate would be 25% or something?

Anyway, I know with things like this, usually it is the obscure, lesser known aspects of tax law that can facilitate/enable something and really hoping there is some angle that I haven't considered...

For what it is worth, I am an online music instructor (registered business in US), so maybe there are provisions for using a Roth IRA if it is in support of music/art entrepreneurial endeavors? That is, if I bought a separate property as a music studio, does that open different exceptions to early Roth IRA usage?? Also I am military veteran, 80% disability rating, so not sure if that opens up other possible exceptions? I know, I am really reaching here, but $10K for use for a home purchase is quite absurd a limitation, and planning such a complicated move to a city like Moscow really requires me to exhaust all tax angles...

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Distributions of original  contributions from a ROTH  can be taken tax and penalty free at any time.  The earnings can be subject to tax and/or penalties.   

Converted amounts have different rules on the ordering of distributions ... I suggest you read the IRS pub 590b for all the distribution rules :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Distributions of original  contributions from a ROTH  can be taken tax and penalty free at any time.  The earnings can be subject to tax and/or penalties.   

Converted amounts have different rules on the ordering of distributions ... I suggest you read the IRS pub 590b for all the distribution rules :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

Thanks for pointing that out!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies