Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

McIntyre1209
Returning Member

Revised 1099-MISC

We received a revised 1099-MISC from Blue Cross Blue Shield.  The revised income is $188.75 higher than what was previously reported.  How should I handle reporting this difference?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Revised 1099-MISC

Why are you receiving a Form 1099-MISC from Blue Cross Blue Shield? 

Is this a refund for a medical expense where you paid by cash, check or direct debit from your bank account?

What box of the 1099-MISC is the amount entered?

McIntyre1209
Returning Member

Revised 1099-MISC

My wife is a counselor who provides services to individuals with insurance through BCBS, the 1099 is report income to use through my wife's sole proprietor business.  The amount is in box 6 of the 1099-MISC.

Revised 1099-MISC

If the 2018 tax return has already been filed and accepted then you will need to amend the return to add the additional income to the tax return.  Before amending the return wait for the tax refund to be received or if taxes were owed and paid, wait for the payment to be processed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/01/27579

jwei

Revised 1099-MISC

Hi @DoninGA ! I received a 1099-misc from Blue Shield with income in box 6 for a refund. Any idea on how I should file? Turbo tax is telling me to file as self employed, when that's not my situation at all. Any help/guidance on this is greatly appreciated!

Revised 1099-MISC

@jwei wrote:

Hi @DoninGA ! I received a 1099-misc from Blue Shield with income in box 6 for a refund. Any idea on how I should file? Turbo tax is telling me to file as self employed, when that's not my situation at all. Any help/guidance on this is greatly appreciated!

Why did you receive this refund?  Was this for a payment you reported previously as a deduction on your federal tax return?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Revised 1099-MISC

Per the IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC, an entry in Box 6 for medical and health care payments is reported as income on Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business.  You have two options for entering these payments into TurboTax.  If you feel you have received this 1099 in error, contact BCBS to get an updated/correct copy of the 1099.   

Option 1 

To enter or review the information for Form 1099-MISC, Box 6 Medical and Health Care Payments:

1. Type Sch C in the search/find bar and click search/find.
  2. Click on Jump to Sch C.
  3. Click on start/edit or Add Another Business/Line of Work.
  4. TurboTax will ask you a series of questions to record your business.
  5. On the Your XXX Business screen, click Start/Edit next to Business Income. 
  6. Enter your 1099-MISC income form and continue. 

Option 2

To enter information from Form 1099-MISC box 6 in TurboTax online program, go to:

1. Sign in to your account and  select Pick up where I left off 
  2. At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1099 misc and Enter 
  3. Select Jump to 1099 misc 
  4. On the screen Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, under Box 3, check My form has other info in boxes 1-18
  5. Enter information in box 6
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies