Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residency status and state taxes: New job, WFH for two months and then moving

Hi! 

I live in NY and just started to a new job in PA on July 1. I will move to PA in late August. How does that affect my residency status and how to know what taxes I will owe in each state? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
slaudenslag
Employee Tax Expert

For 2021 you will file a part year resident return for both NY and PA. If you were employed while in NY, your W-2 from that employer will report your NY income and state taxes withheld.  Your W-2 from your PA employer will report your PA income and state taxes withheld.  If using TurboTax, these amounts will be properly carried forward to the appropriate return.  If you have other income such as interest, dividends, brokerage transactions etc., this income will be allocated based on your percentage of residency in each state.  Again, TurboTax does a great job with this income allocation.

Transition years between states can be tricky but when your employer is withhold state taxes properly, tax filing steps are relatively simple.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
slaudenslag
Employee Tax Expert

For 2021 you will file a part year resident return for both NY and PA. If you were employed while in NY, your W-2 from that employer will report your NY income and state taxes withheld.  Your W-2 from your PA employer will report your PA income and state taxes withheld.  If using TurboTax, these amounts will be properly carried forward to the appropriate return.  If you have other income such as interest, dividends, brokerage transactions etc., this income will be allocated based on your percentage of residency in each state.  Again, TurboTax does a great job with this income allocation.

Transition years between states can be tricky but when your employer is withhold state taxes properly, tax filing steps are relatively simple.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies