Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection for 1095-A Marketplace Health Insurance

I've never used healthcare from the government. When asked "Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan?" I selected "No". It generated, and now the IRS keeps rejecting my return because Form 1095 is missing. When I go back into my return to fix it, the "No" is still selected and it says if I didn't use Marketplace Healthcare then to disregard it, so I did. But it continues to get rejected, it has been 5 times now. This is extremely frustrating.

I need answers!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You may have accidentally marked "I had marketplace insurance" in the My Info interview questions, but you can delete the form from your return and you should be able to proceed.

To delete a specific form in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return, click on Tax Tools in the black menu on the left side of the screen.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click on Delete a Form
  4. Scroll down to your form and click Delete.
  5. Under Federal in the black menu bar click Wages & Income to get back into your tax returns.
  6. Proceed entering/reviewing your return.

To do this in TurboTax Desktop you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return, click on the Forms icon in the upper right of the screen to switch to Forms mode.
  2. Scroll down in the menu bar on the left and select your form.
  3. Click the Delete Form button at the bottom left of the preview screen.
  4. Confirm the deletion then click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right of the screen.
  5. Proceed entering/reviewing your return. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn’t, and there is no form to delete l. The are rejecting it because the form is “missing”. All answers are no.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you do not have a Form 1095-A or a Form 8962 in your return and the rejection says that it is missing, the Marketplace my have told the IRS that you applied for coverage that you did not ultimately take, or that someone on your tax return did.  Please call the Marketplace and be sure they do not have a Form 1095-A on record for anyone on your return. 

If they do not, then please give us the exact reject message, so we can help determine what is causing the rejection.

Healthcare.gov

1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

Roschwar

Did you have any resolution. I’m having the same issue now. Never had marketplace insurance and the return has been rejected 4 times. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You will need to call the Marketplace at 800-318-2596 to find out if they have you or one of your dependents listed as someone who had insurance through the Marketplace.  You will need to work with them to get it corrected if you nor anyone on your return ever had insurance through there. 

Even if you personally did not have it, but a dependent on your return was covered by another parent, you would need to add the 1095-A and allocate the premium.  You can allocate 0% to you and the other parent can allocate 100%, but it would still need to be entered on your return. 

I called marketplace, they confirmed that I didn’t have an application or any connection to them. 
my resolution was a workaround by entering 0s in the ID areas and then 1s in January row across the board.

It ended up saying that I owed $1 so my refund decreased by a dollar but it’s better than getting rejected a 7th time. 
this is a glitch that seriously need to be fixed and I wish the experts would take this seriously.

who knows what kind of effect this would have on someone for the future.

Rmk11

I am getting the same error, but didnt understand the solution. Ive been rejected twice over the 1095 a form. Im guessing turbo tax response to healthcare questions is being interpreted as someone having marketplace insurance. I called the number. I do not have it. But I already knew that. Im going to have to use the Federal E File, because this isnt working and I have no way of knowing what incorrect info is being sent to the IRS or why, and cant find an answer on this site.

Rmk11

This issue cannot be fixed in Turbo Tax. The issue is the IRS. I had to use the IRS "Free File" using these tax forms, and got the same rejection directly from the IRS. "Free file" allows you to add a note of explanation that Turbo Tax does not have. I do not know why this is happening. I did have a COBRA plan and did compare it to the marketplace coverage as they were about the same price, but was nowhere near as good. Maybe I gave them my info or the COBRA plan threw the IRS off. I have no idea. 

DO NOT MAIL YOUR FORMS as Turbo Tax suggests. I attempted to do this last year only to have some IRS worker send me a rejection by claiming I never submitted the form in July. They also included part of someone elses taxes and SSN in the papers they sent back to me. Im guessing they are overwhelmed and this is an easy way to get out of processing peoples taxes because I definitely mailed the 1040. I then sat on hold for many hours over many days and got ahold of no one. I couldnt even make an appt with my local office. Id literally get a robo message that the office was busy and no one could take my call,every time I called. There were major budget cuts to the IRS under Trump, and the new McCarthy-led congress just slashed even more, since Oct. Im not sure why they are bragging about it. The IRS is a hot mess and will not and cannot process mailed in forms.

In October I found Free File, which is the IRS option to file electronically and was able to access all forms. I would prefer Turbo tax as its easier and Free File does zero work for you. Its a horrible interface and you have to figure out everything on your own. It also rejects your form multiple times over small errors, and not all at once, and its extremely difficult to interpret the errors, so its tedious. But my return was finally accepted by the IRS both times this way.

saliebfl

on what form?  What could this answer mean?

Acemen

I had the same problem with the 1095-A. I called everyone and no one new how to fix it. I read your comment and tried it. And after 5 pervious  rejections it accepted it doing what you did. I Just want to thank you for the info you shared.

Which form do I have to delete and re-submit?  I tried the My Info, and I did not get the question pertaining to did I have a healthcare plan.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

The Form you need to delete is Form 8962. See guidance below:

If you don't have a 1095-A and know you won't be receiving one, you can delete the 1095-A from your return. This will also remove the 8962 and allow you to change your answer to the 1095-A question to No. Here’s how:

1. Select Federal from the left menu, then Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to Medical and select Show More
  3. Select Start or Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  4. As you walk through the questions, you'll be asked if you received a 1095-A. Even if you didn’t receive this form, select Yes
  5. You’ll need to create a “dummy” 1095-A: enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and policy number, and $1 for the January amounts
  6. On the screen Here’s what we have for your 1095-As, select Delete next to the fake form you just entered, then Yes, to remove the 1095-A entry
  7. Select Tax Tools from the left menu, then Tools, then Delete a form. You shouldn’t see Form 8962 or Form 1095-A in the forms list. If you do see these forms, select Delete next to the name of the form to remove it from your return
  8. Select File from the left menu and continue through the process to refile your return

@ftworthjim 

I did this and got a rejection letter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies