turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chiachicho100
Returning Member

Regarding to Change Dependent Claim

We want to file a return to claim our retired senior mother as a dependent.   When we tried to file our return today it got rejected.  Then we realize our mother made a mistake by checking "no one else could claim you as a dependent" on Turbo Tax.  She filed her return two months ago.  She said she already corrected it on Turbo Tax and is going to mail the amendment today.  My question is do we need to wait until IRS and state government process her amendment then we can refile our return electronically?  How long will it take to process her amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry you can not efile now even if she amends.  You will have to print and mail your return this year to claim her.  Does she qualify as your dependent?  She had less than $4,200 total income?

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

Can I claim my parent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/can-i-claim-my-parent-as-a-dependent/0...

chiachicho100
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply.

She made less than $1500 last year.  We are paying for her living and sometimes food expenses, too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies