Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet

I called Customer Support over a month ago about this problem and spent an entire day on the phone to no avail.  I eventually was told that they would open a Product Support Investigation and I would definitely hear back (in 1-2 days) and I have never been contacted after a month.  

I also have the problem that the stimulus questions are bypassed even though I qualify for a small rebate.  Yes, your credit amount will be reduced if your AGI is more than the amounts listed ($150,000 for married filing jointly), but it won't entirely be phased out until above that amount (e.g. $222,000 for married filing jointly).  The program seems to be disqualifying me, presumably for income, even though my AGI is lower than that.  

I could not seem to get the Customer Support people I spoke to to understand this concept and they kept trying to tie the amount of the credit to 2018 and 2019 AGI which were used at the time of sending out the checks to determine if you would receive a check at that time.  Now, however, 2020 AGI should be used as per the IRS instructions for Form 1040, Line 30 and previous years' AGI is a moot point.  

You can refer to the IRS website Form 1040 instructions for the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet--Line 30 to determine if you qualify for a credit.  

The worksheet seems like it should be pretty straightforward to incorporate into the Turbo Tax program, and I have lost all confidence in Turbo Tax that they have mishandled this.  I kept hoping that they were working on this problem and it would be corrected without my having to call back as it was a very unpleasant and time-consuming process.  The first support person I talked to was very rude and disrespectful, in addition to giving me incorrect information, but I did expect that I would be called back after being assured that my issue was being upgraded.  It is discouraging to see that incorrect information is still being given out on this forum.  No, it is not correct that everyone will see the stimulus section.  I completed my daughter's taxes also, so I know what the section looks like and where it should appear and it simply is not available on my tax return.  Customer Support verified that this was so but was unable to give me any explanation or assistance.  Hence, why it was supposedly referred up the chain.  

I have been avoiding having to call back, as I said, but right now I am unable to complete my tax return unless I forgo the credit I am due.  Not a good situation to be in...

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are qualified based on the requirements and your 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), and did not get the full amount of the stimulus payments, then you must ensure you are entering the amount of stimulus payments you did receive to ensure that the credit calculates correctly.

Please follow the steps below:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on your 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments you received. I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

Your Recovery Rebate Credit will be the difference between what you were qualified for on your 2020 tax return less the amount of your first and second stimulus payments you have already received.

If the Recovery Rebate Credit is still not showing, then please review the requirements below to ensure you, your spouse and your dependents (if applicable) do qualify to receive the stimulus payment.

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

For more information, please see Calculating the Economic Impact Payment.

@aws62

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OMG, I cannot make this any clearer--I cannot get to the stimulus section at all.  It goes directly to Federal Review as the other person mentioned also.  Customer Support acknowledged this when I talked to them.  They were controlling my computer remotely and they could not get there either.  There is a problem with the program!  

Yes, I know my payment will be reduced with an AGI over $150,000--reduced, not eliminated.  I qualify for a credit of $632 according to the IRS worksheet.

Is there a way to check on my supposed Product Support Investigation INV-12861? 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. I have checked on INV-12861 and it states that this is not a product defect. It shows that the conclusion on the investigation was your 2020 adjusted gross income disqualifies you for any additional payment

In addition, did you receive a partial first and second stimulus payment? Your Recovery Rebate Credit will be the difference between what you were qualified for on your 2020 tax return less the amount of your first and second stimulus payments you have already received. If your 2019 AGI was lower and already received partial payments, then you would not be eligible for any additional stimulus money under the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

Please review Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic B: Eligibility

@aws62

Well, this is infuriating.  No one contacted me to get any additional information from me or to let me know the results of the investigation.  I have been waiting a month!  This is unbelievably bad customer service!  

Also, this conclusion is just wrong.  We received no stimulus checks!  Our 2019 AGI was low enough to qualify for a small payment, but we had an extension on our 2019 taxes because I was waiting on an amended W-2, so we had not filed our 2019 return yet and our 2018 tax return was used to determine if we received a check and we did not qualify for a check on that basis.  I explained all this to the customer service person.  Our 2020 adjusted gross income is $209,349.  Please plug that number into the IRS worksheet--you will arrive at a credit of $632.  As I have mentioned numerous times, the program does not even let me get to the stimulus page where you verify if you have received previous checks.  

My thought is that it is programmed incorrectly to disqualify me preemptively based on AGI, but whatever the amount it is using is incorrect ($150,000?).  The credit is not eliminated above $150,000, just reduced by 5% of the amount it exceeds $150,000.  That amount is used to reduce the $3,600 total of the two stimulus checks.  We received no checks, so our credit is $632.  

Please can someone there entertain the possibility that there is a problem with the program?  Or explain to me why it does not agree with the IRS worksheet?  Turbo Tax is supposed to make my life easier, not more difficult!

@aws62 

IRS says:

For eligible individuals with no qualifying children, the payment is reduced to $0 if their AGI is at least:

• $99,000 if filing as single or married filing separately
  • $136,500 if filing as head of household and
  • $198,000 if filing married filing jointly

therefore based on your AGI,  your 2020 Form 1040 line 30 will be zero.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It would be very helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file to help assist you with this problem. 

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

We are very sorry for your frustration regarding this issue.

@aws62

Where are you getting this information?  I think this may be for the checks sent out in 2020.  I don't think this is applicable for the 2020 credit computation.

Ok, although this is similar to what I did with Customer Support previously.  

Are you acknowledging that we should be due a credit--I think that is part of the issue.   Do you know what the disqualifying amount is in the program--I can't get anyone to tell me how it is set up.

Ok, token number is 821280.

Did you get the token number ok?  When will I hear something about the status of this?  Thanks!

Ok, I think I've figured this all out.  You don't have to do anything with the token number.  Thanks for your help!

ds123

I followed the below steps to find Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. I couldn't find it. Please advise

ds123

How to find the worksheet. I followed the below steps but I didn't the form. 

We're not using Turbo Tax online, we're using Premier.  How can we claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in Premier?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies