turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate 2021

I was asked to enter in my recovery rebate info into line 30, I had to make a profile on the IRS website to access the proper information. I entered $2,800 into the line as asked. My return was something along the line of let’s say $10,000 however when I received the return it was short the $2,800 I entered into line 30. I didn’t understand, and if it was meant to be deducted in the first place why didn’t it do so at the time? I got mail from the IRS saying something was wrong with my info and to resolve the issue through the phone line or mail in what I felt I needed to prove my case. I had no idea what to send except screen shots of what I did? Because it was a failed effort each time to contact a live rep on the phone. What did I do wrong? Am I suppose to be deducted the $2,800? I tried to get it back to no avail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Recovery Rebate 2021

Maybe you misread or misunderstood what the TurboTax program was asking you concerning the 3rd stimulus payment.  If you and someone else on your tax return were eligible for the 3rd stimulus payment the program asked if you received $2,800.  Answering Yes would have left Line 30 on the Form 1040 blank (empty).

If you indicated that you did NOT receive the $2,800 stimulus payment then the program would have entered $2,800 on Line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

The IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $2,800 Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account
If you are Married Filing Jointly also check your spouse's tax account.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $2,800 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

See screenshot for the TurboTax page asking about the 3rd stimulus payment -

Stimulus Payment TTD.JPG

ArthurJ
Expert Alumni

Recovery Rebate 2021

Hello

The Recovery Rebate Credit amount on line 30 should be zero if you received your stimulus payments in March 2021.  In Turbo Tax when going through the return review you were asked a question if you received your stimulus payments and you should have answered "Yes" and no amount would appear on line 30.  If you answered incorrectly it would have put the amount of $2800 on your line 30.  The IRS corrected your return and you received the correct refund and no further action is necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies