Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RocketmanG80
Returning Member

Question on MAGI

I see from on-line references that you add untaxed income back to the AGI to get MAGI.  I would like to get confirmation that untaxed unemployment must be added in.  I see lists of examples but that is not on said lists (maybe because the non-taxable status is new?).

TIA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Question on MAGI

MAGI has different definitions for different purposes.  What is the reason you need to calculate it?

RocketmanG80
Returning Member

Question on MAGI

The purpose is the education deduction.  If the untaxed unemployment is added back, then my daughter doesn't qualify for the deduction.  This is apparently what TurboTax is doing.  However, I have never seen a reference that explicitly says that untaxed unemployment has to be added back. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Question on MAGI

The tax law reads:

“(1) IN GENERAL.—In the case of any taxable year beginning in 2020, if the adjusted gross income of the taxpayer for such taxable year is less than $150,000, the gross income of such taxpayer shall not include so much of the unemployment compensation received by such taxpayer (or, in the case of a joint return, received by each spouse) as does not exceed $10,200. “(2) APPLICATION.—For purposes of paragraph (1), the adjusted gross income of the taxpayer shall be determined—

“(A) after application of sections 86, 135, 137, 219, 221, 222, and 469, and

“(B) without regard to this section.”

Tuition-Section 222

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies