Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question on 5 Free Efile with Family

Does this mean ONE person has to file (under their account) for all 5 or can each one install software and do themselves under their own account? We all have our own TurboTax accounts.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@DeeWin wrote:

Okay, even though I think you gave me my answer, let me rephrase my question:

I purchase the download version with 5 free efiles, download on my computer and do my filing, can I send my family member the download and the same license?

*all computers are personally mine*

The license restricts how it is be used.  From the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT TURBOTAX DESKTOP SOFTWARE – TAX YEAR 2022 -

C. Additional Restrictions. In addition to the restrictions in the Section A Terms:

1. You are not licensed or permitted under this EULA to do any of the following: (i) allow any other person to use the Software; (ii) rent, loan, resell, share, distribute or redistribute the original CD or a copy of the Software to any other person or entity; (iii) make the Software available on any file-sharing or application hosting service; (iv) electronically send the Software to any other person or company; (v) copy the printed materials or user documentation accompanying the Software other than as necessary to support the uses permitted above; (vi) use the Software for any commercial purpose (i.e., tax return preparation for a fee or other consideration); or (vii) use the Software to electronically file more than five (5) federal returns. Any person or company who received the Software through any of the foregoing prohibited methods, or through any method other than purchasing a license for this Software from Intuit or an Intuit authorized retailer, is not authorized to use such Software.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

When you purchase the TurboTax software the license for the software allows you to e-file up to 5 federal tax returns for free.  After the 5 federal e-files any further tax returns can only be printed and mailed.  The tax returns filed can be for anyone not just family.

The license allows you to only install the purchased TurboTax software on computers that you personally own.

Go to this TurboTax website for the TurboTax software license - https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp

@DeeWin wrote:

Does this mean ONE person has to file (under their account) for all 5 or can each one install software and do themselves under their own account? We all have our own TurboTax accounts.

You are confusing two things.   The 5 e-files is an IRS requirement that applies to the CD/download installed on you computer - no TurboTax accounts are needed. 

The 5 is enforced by several methods, IP address, computer MAC address, and other methods.

Online accounts are only good for one tax return and only one tax return can be filed from a single account.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I purchase the download version with 5 free efiles, download on my computer and do my filing, can I send my family member the download and the same license?

@DeeWin wrote:

The license restricts how it is be used.  From the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT TURBOTAX DESKTOP SOFTWARE – TAX YEAR 2022 -

C. Additional Restrictions. In addition to the restrictions in the Section A Terms:

1. You are not licensed or permitted under this EULA to do any of the following: (i) allow any other person to use the Software; (ii) rent, loan, resell, share, distribute or redistribute the original CD or a copy of the Software to any other person or entity; (iii) make the Software available on any file-sharing or application hosting service; (iv) electronically send the Software to any other person or company; (v) copy the printed materials or user documentation accompanying the Software other than as necessary to support the uses permitted above; (vi) use the Software for any commercial purpose (i.e., tax return preparation for a fee or other consideration); or (vii) use the Software to electronically file more than five (5) federal returns. Any person or company who received the Software through any of the foregoing prohibited methods, or through any method other than purchasing a license for this Software from Intuit or an Intuit authorized retailer, is not authorized to use such Software.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies