Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tom_N_GA
Returning Member

Qualifying life event

I recently got married. My wife was on the healthcare exchange and receiving an advance tax credit toward her premiums.  At this point, I can add her to my company health plan but it will only be for month of December. My question is how will the marriage (QLE) affect our taxes for 2022?

As I understand based on some research, she would lose the entire credit if we did married filing separate?

I also understood based on some research that there would be a formula for determining her actual tax credit that will be based on our now combined income?

My concern is whether the hit on her tax credit will be significant enough that we should add her for just month of December?  Since I am currently in open enrollment, I can and plan to add her for 2023 but would not begin until January. 

Also a factor is that she received a 90 day supply of an Rx that goes through December, so if we cancel that month of insurance, I dont know if they would come back and want that month of Rx reimbursed (and it is an expensive Rx without insurance).

It would obviously be easier to just add her during open enrollment, but I am concerned if they took away her tax credit altogether that we would be penalized significantly (her tax credit is around $800/month), and wondering if they said she was now not qualified for the credit, she would owe back all those 11 months that received it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Qualifying life event

Hello,

Regarding your spouse's health insurance through the marketplace, please look for the 1095-A which will be issued and will show all the information on the premiums and what is needed to file your taxes. When you input that into Turbotax, it will generate the required form 8962 for the IRS. Then go ahead and answer all the questions accurately and leave Turbotax to take care of the rest. The form 8962 does the reconciliation. Do check that document to see the results when you file your taxes.

Having had insurance through the marketplace for 11 months in the year, will have no adverse effect on your spouse.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MariaDG1
Employee Tax Expert

Qualifying life event

Hello Tom_N_GA,  I'm so glad you participated in our event today.  This is actually quite a complicated situation, and lots of people struggle with it.  First of all though, congratulations on your marriage!  Best wishes to both of you. 

There are several elements here, not just the question of which month you add her to your coverage.  But lets start there.  Your wife is not eligible for a Premium Tax Credit if she is eligible to be covered under your employer's plan and the IRS considers the plan "affordable".  Their definition of affordable is the cost for employee-only coverage (for the least-expensive plan available from the employer) does not exceed 9.61% of household income in 2022.  This is true regardless of the total amount that must be paid to cover family members on the policy. Therefore, if she is eligible to be added to your plan in December, you should do so, as her eligibility for the premium tax credit for her current plan ends.  If a premium subsidy is paid for that month, you would most likely be required to repay it in full. 

The second issue is the calculation of her premium tax credit repayment on your joint tax return.  You are correct that you cannot file as married filing separately, as that would make her entirely ineligible for the premium tax credit.  I understand your concern about the status of the credit, as your combined income for the year may well be higher than the threshold for the premium tax credit.  The federal poverty limit for a family of 2 is not double the limit for a family of 1, so adding a spouse and their income often puts somebody above the eligibility limit, even though they were under the limit when they received the aptc subsidies. Unfortunately, this could cause a large repayment to be due at tax time.  However, this is an issue regardless of whether you add her to your insurance plan in December or January.    The good news is that there is an 'alternative calculation for year of marriage' in the premium tax credit rules.  This means that for the months prior to your marriage she could use a family size of 1, and half of your combined income in the calculations.  I can't make any determinations without knowing the specifics of your financial situation, but for many people, this may eliminate or significantly reduce the repayment.  Obviously, if your income is tremendously higher than hers, half the combined income may still put her over the limit. Here is a link to IRS publication 974, and the alternative calculation section is on page 38. 

As far as the prescription your wife received, that's a bit beyond our scope here.  In my personal experience, I've never known an insurance company try to reclaim costs for a prescription they have already paid out on once coverage ends.  But the only way to know for sure would be to call the insurance provider. 

I wish you the best of luck as you sort through this situation.  Rest assured, Turbotax can handle your premium tax credit calculations on form 8962.  The software will prompt you to enter the information from the 1095-a, and it should be fairly straightforward.  If you do need assistance, we're always here for you. 

Tom_N_GA
Returning Member

Qualifying life event

Thank you so much. Not sure if any way I can determine what the impact would be, but we will be at around $120,000 combined gross income jointly. She estimated at $24,000 to get the PTC.

Thanks

Tom

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies