turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lp26
Level 2

Program hang when viewing 'Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other' section after importing data

After importing data from my broker (Morgan Stanley), turbo tax indicates that the 'stocks, mutual funds, bonds, other' section needs review. When I try to enter that section, turbo tax hangs. I don't have any problems with the interest and dividend sections. I have switched to the forms view and the Schedule D and form 8949 (copy 1 and 2) look like they were populated and are correct. There were over 400 hundred 1099b's listed so please don't ask me to enter it manually. I think all the data is there but I don't know if I'm missing something by not reviewing that section in the 'step by step' mode.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Program hang when viewing 'Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other' section after importing data

You may need to clear your cache and cookies because of the number of imports that you have. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try entering your information again. You may also want to change browsers, for example, if you are using Chrome, try switching to Firefox.

If you still continue to have the same problem, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lp26
Level 2

I'm not sure what my browser had to do with the problem since I'm running Turbotax from a cd installed program on my desktop. However, I did delete the imports from my working copy of my taxes and save. Then I got out of turbotax and cleaned out the cache and cookies from my chrome browser. After returning to turbotax, I reimported my data. It worked. The stock data is available from both the step-by-step and forms views and the program no longer hangs. Thanks for the help.

I'm hitting the same problem but TurboTax is also hanging when I try to remove the imported documents. I also deleted the cache from my browser but don't know why that would help the desktop version of the application.

lp26
Level 2

It took a long time to delete my imported data. I thought the program had hung again. The x in the upper right corner turned red. After several minutes, it finally came back. Same thing happened when I reimported the data - just took even longer.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the desktop version, please be sure the program is up to date. If it is not, you may need to run an update on the program. 

If you are having further issues after updating, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HassanJ

Same thing happened here, I even went as far as create a google cloud machine and installed turbo tax there ... it keeps handing , I am figuring it’s due to the large # of transactions? Anyone find a cure ? 

lp26
Level 2

I finally had success with importing my data by just waiting a long time. I'm sorry I didn't time how long it took. It was probably at least 5 minutes to delete the partially imported data and at least 10 minutes to reimport it. I had 485 transactions that it was dealing with to help you gauge whether you have more or less.

I also did clean up cookies and cache like they suggested but since I'm not running turbotax from my browser I can't imagine that that was any help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies