Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Poll Worker/Election Official in Ohio - Where is the specific spot in Turbo Tax to enter this...

I am in Ohio, my wife and i received $500 total. No w-2. Why is there not a specific spot to enter this at in Turbo Tax. I feel reporting it as miscellaneous income or something else not specific enough does not take into account the appropriate state & federal laws around election worker income. For example, election worker income from what i read in Ohio is not subject to federal social security or medicare withholding's and state income tax. Yet when i enter the $500 i see my state taxes due go up. This is so frustrating, seriously turbo tax does not have spot to enter election worker income in 2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Poll Worker/Election Official in Ohio - Where is the specific spot in Turbo Tax to enter this...

Normally, the poll worker income is wage income reported on a W2.  Here is a reference link

However, per the link OH poll workers are not covered by a section 218 agreement, and your pay was below the federal threshold (1800) for FICA withholding and below the threshold (600) for reporting on a W2.  

The income however is taxable income at the federal level and should be reported.  You can report as self-employment income for each of you. It is below the threshold for self-employment taxes to apply. 

In the OH state interview in the "Income" section you can use the business deduction to deduct the income for each of you from OH taxable income.  You will see your each of your businesses in the list and you will edit each to log the deductions. 

The NAICS code for election worker is 921190.  You are each 100% owners of your election worker business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies